cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting at YouTube

Community Veteran

Shooting at YouTube

A shooting has been in progress this afternoon at YouTube headquarters in San Bruno, CA. The building is currently in lockdown.

Shooting

It is the first shooting at a tech campus.

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Shooting at YouTube

Police confirm suspect is deceased at the scene and was female.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

You have an unhealthy fascination with death @artmo 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 226

It is one of the two things guaranteed in lifeCry

I was just reading about that. Tragic.

I was also reading about a young girl who was killed in a drive-by shooting in London. Apparently she was working with youngsters to help get them away from street crimeSad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

@Mav

With regards to people being killed in London, we all know there has been a significant increase over the last three years but I'm left to wonder how many were committed by gang members and ethnic minorities, or does nobody want to join those particular dots. 

'There were 15 murders in London in February against 14 in New York, according to London’s Metropolitan Police Service and the New York Police Department. For March, 22 murders were investigated in London, with 21 reports in New York'

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-crime-murder/london-murder-rate-overtakes-new-york-as-knif...

Society on both sides of the Atlantic is going down the pan and no mistake. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I know small youtuber creators, including myself, took it hard when their adsense was taken away to punish us for the big guys' major errors, but, damn, I wouldn't go that far, mostly cos the YT space is down in London, but also cos I'm no loon...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

When you continue to cram more young people into the same space with poor or no prospects in life where will all that unused energy go ? Simply into gangs fighting for their territory, add to that drugs and guns it should come as no surprise to see incidents like this take place in London and some of the Larger cities.

Look at the animal kingdom, many species are territoral and fight to protect their own space, we are simply a member of that group.

Those with money use a different approach they buy big houses and the boundary fence is their territory.

Community Veteran

With youtube apparently the gripe was the censorship which the woman objected to as it cut her income.

All the big online companies control what's shown even companies like ebay where you pay for the web space which does no good if no one sees it.

None of these big online companies seem to make that very clear. Much of the time it's all very secretive until it's exposed.

The online market doesn't find its own level because the big online companies control the market.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

I'm left to wonder how many were committed by gang members and ethnic minorities, or does nobody want to join those particular dots. 

And what are ‘those particular dots’ @Minivanman? Just what is the link you are suggesting exists between ‘ethnic minorities’ and any increase in the murder rate in London? And in what way do you think that is relevant, or is this just another of your ‘antagonistic’ posts designed to elicit ‘caustic responses’?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles

Sorry, but I don't wear that one.

You cannot blame society or social conditions for stabbings and shootings. Try putting that one in front of Judge Judy! 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:

With youtube apparently the gripe was the censorship which the woman objected to as it cut her income.

Well that's her own fault, youtube isn't a job (even if we put lots of hours of our time into making content and get little to nothing fiscally in return), if she wanted money, she should have gotten a job, not relied on income from youtube as they're not contractually obliged to pay anything like an employer would be, so she shot herself in the foot there (quite literally in this case!)...

Fixes: 226

Moderator's note:

Three posts removed.

If this constant sniping does not stop action will be taken against the perpetrators.

Keep this forum, friendly, informative and fun.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke wrote:

if she wanted money, she should have gotten a job

That's true enough but in today's world many with jobs have to find ways to supplement their incomes just to survive.

Of course having a shoot up is a step too far when the grim realisation that there isn't a level playing field with the big virtually unregulated online companies sets in.

Community Veteran

@billnotben wrote:
That's true enough but in today's world many with jobs have to find ways to supplement their incomes just to survive.

The problem with that though is the money youtube pays to people who are "small time", it's tiny, you honestly get more money from a job for working one day than you get in a year if you haven't made it big on youtube, granted having the small income from youtube was a nice incentive to make videos, but to call it a supplement to a job given the time and effort you have to put into video making, no, if you want to make regular money, get a job, youtube is just for fun and for the majority will never pay the bills...

Community Veteran

A few years back I even supplemented my income by writing to newspapers letter pages, amongst other things.

So trust me when I say every little bit helps.

Isn't that someone's catch phrase?