cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shomrim?

Steve
Pro

Shomrim?

Never heard of this group until the tragic events that occurred in Paris. I thought impersonating the police was a criminal offence? One rule for one and one rule for another it seems.
Extra Jewish Patrols In London After Attacks
A Jewish neighbourhood watch group has stepped up its patrols in London in the wake of terrorist attacks in France.
Four hostages and Amedy Coulibaly were killed after he sparked a siege at a kosher supermarket in Paris.
And Jewish neighbourhood watch group Shomrim, which has a total of around 80 volunteers, called for increased vigilance following the attacks.

http://news.sky.com/story/1406497/extra-jewish-patrols-in-london-after-attacks
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Shomrim?

In what way are they impersonating the police?
They have no special powers or authority. They are no different to security patrols like G4S etc.
Steve
Pro

Quote from: AndyH
In what way are they impersonating the police?
The picture gives it away.
Community Veteran

Not sure how that is impersonating the police though. They are trained by the Met and work along side them to patrol Jewish communities in North London.
There is also an ambulance service, Hatzalah, for the orthodox communities in North London, but they will also help and assist anyone in areas they cover.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

They tried to setup their own ambulance service in the uk last year and got busted for it as they didn't have the right to use blue lights.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Interesting.
If I drove around in an exact copy of this vehicle would I be charged with impersonating them ?
Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
They tried to setup their own ambulance service in the uk last year and got busted for it as they didn't have the right to use blue lights.

Not quite - their vehicles did not fall under the 'ambulance' class.
In London, there are Hatzolah ambulances that use the 'blues and twos'. They do not have any exemption to exceed the speed limit or go through red lights (as far as I am aware).
Steve
Pro

Not sure how that is impersonating the police though.
Really, so say you were drunk and that car pulls up in front of you you would not think it was the police?
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
Really, so say you were drunk and that car pulls up in front of you you would not think it was the police?

Nope - because I would read what's written on the car.
I would be interested to know how many Shomrim vehicles are like this. I've read that some people in Hackney have regularly seen Shomrim volunteers in normal, unmarked cars, however they've never seen this specific car.
Steve
Pro

They are no different to security patrols like G4S etc.
Except don't you agree it's disturbing that such groups need to be discriminatory. What's the rationale for members to needing to be married, male and Jewish. Surely a 'security' group would welcome people regardless of their race, marital status or gender. ?
Community Veteran

There is no stipulation that you need to be male, married or even Jewish - http://www.vice.com/read/on-patrol-with-north-londons-orthodox-jewish-patrol-group
Despite previous reports, Shomrim does not stipulate that members must be Jewish, male, employed or married. However, being married indicates responsibility, Michael says, which is a factor that can support an application.
“There’s no rule saying you must be Jewish to be a member, though I’m not aware of any applications from the non-Jewish community,” says Shulem. There are currently two unmarried men in the Stamford Hill Shomrim, and a number of hotline operatives and back office staff are female – though all patrolling members are male. The organization is a registered charity, and one of its three trustees is female.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They probably drive that car around the Eruv to check no one is using mechanical devices/carrying stuff on the Shabbat day. Or am I confusing that with the Mormons/Amish.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Shabbat or Sabbath is correct.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: M
Not sure how that is impersonating the police though.

Thing is though anyone can decorate a car to look however they like and police forces change the design of their cars so often that you probably wouldn't need to worry about it anyway.
I remember the days when they were a white colour with a red / orange line going round them and a blue light with a rotating silver mirror on top lol. To think.. if i decorated my car like that now (minus the blue light) you'd think nothing of it but because of a few luminous decals you assume that its impersonating a police car (and to a point i agree). My point is that if i i today impersonate a police car of the 80s nobody would care but technically its still impersonating a police car  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 123

It's a bit like when you see a van in the distance with the yellow/orange chevrons - you never know if it's the police till you get much closer.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still