Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoe Repairs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Shoe Repairs

Twix
I used to have my shoes repaired "on the cheap"... i.e... I either bought the stick on soles and did it myself, or, when the heels needed doing as well, take them to the local cobblers ... and get the cheapest sole and heel on offer.... this used to cost me about £10.... but after about 4 months, the soles would need doing again... so I decided to ask for heavy duty sole &  heel.... cost me about £25 to £30.... BUT ..it does last longer, probably all year.... The shoes have a "new" feel to them, too.... probably because the new soles are giving more strength to the orginal... So, although it doesn`t seem like I am saving any money, I do feel it is worth the higher initial price... and of course, the shoes seem to be lasting longer too...
As a point of interest.. I only by shoes with Leather Soles.... and take them to the cobblers within the first week or so, to get rubber soles fitted.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Shoe Repairs

I miss shoe repairs, nit had any done for ages. My uppers tend to die before the soles. It's my job.
However, in this throw away society, when was the last time anyone replaced a kettle element?  Huh
TORPC
Grafter

My mate still sells quite a few kettle elements aswell as cooker rings, vacuum cleanermparts, washing machine parts, tumble dryer parts etc
Community Veteran

When I'm in me whistle I wear Churches.Repairs to those beauties cost three Ponies and a Lady Godiva.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
WTF
Grafter

I've been wearing Churches or Cheaneys (formerly the same company, though Cheaney are now run by the old Churches management while Churches are owned by Prada or someone) for nearly 30 years.  Never found any other shoes that come close.
I usually find I need to have the soles and heels replaced on work shoes after roughly a year.  They're usually in good enough condition to be repaired a second time but Churches and Cheaney will only do one factory repair so I have to take them to regular shoe repairers like Timson's for the second repair.  They don't do anywhere near as good a job, despite costing pretty much the same (£70 to £80).  Does mean I get around 3 years out of a pair of work shoes though.
My non-work shoes last way longer - I have one pair I use for dancing that's around 7 years old.  My missus usually replaces her dance shoes twice a year.
Completely changing the subject: anyone else getting really slow responses on here this morning?
Community Veteran

@WTF yes the forums seem slow to navigate this morning.
I haven't had a pair of shoes repaired for many years. Just bought a new pair of formal black and casual brown shoes.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I tried getting a pair of boots repaired a few years ago, they were really comfortable and I wanted to resole them. Took them to several shoe repairers. Most couldn't repair them, one wanted £80 for a new sole. I told him the boots only cost me £30!
In the end I gave up and binned them, and bought a new pair  Cry
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
I've been wearing Churches for nearly 30 years.  Never found any other shoes that come close.

I've a couple of pairs 'bout the same age Roll eyes.  Seem to spend more time in Thermal Wellies these days.
WTF
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
I've a couple of pairs 'bout the same age Roll eyes

They certainly seem to wear well - mind you, they should given the insane prices.  Even when - like me - you only buy them in the Sales or at outlet shops  Wink
@artmo - seems to have picked up a bit now.  It was so bad earlier, I gave up