cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shocking!!

In this part of the UK at least it has been very dry for a while now. This can have some physical side effects...are you susceptible as I am to static shocks, given the right conditions I can see a blue spark jump a gap between a finger tip and whatever surface has conducted it and hear an audible crack, quite likely nobody else can hear it though. The conditions are pretty good just now, it doesn't necessarily need to be hot, just dry.
In the past many cars could be seen with discharge straps trailed onto the road that in theory discharged the residual static in the car to earth. Are these still available? I think in most modern cars there are very few negative connected metal parts within the "cabin" that those sufferers like me can touch to discharge themselves occasionally.   
Petlew prays for some rain...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Shocking!!

you shouldn't wear nylon knickers
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Damn! I will sneak them back in Mrs P's drawer then.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Community Veteran

no carpet, no problem.  Smiley  many carpets include synthetic fibres.  not wearing shoes on them will reduce the generation of static.  an humidifier might help.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you park your car on a carpet - oh the luxury
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Careful when filling up your car with petrol, we don't want to lose you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Is it just me, or does anyone else get shocks from Tesco trolleys?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I sometimes get a shock at Tesco's checkout - when they ring up the total bill !  Cheesy