cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shocking?

I've had my Pentax *ist DL2 camera for a few years now, So this morning I thought I'd take a look at the instruction manual!! (I wonder how many others actually take the time to read manuals thoroughly, as somebody who was involved in writing them once upon a time you'd think I would know better wouldn't you?)
However, I was intrigued by a heading right on the first page..."Warning" "Do not disassemble or modify the camera. High Voltage areas are present inside the camera, with the risk of electric shock" 
I wonder, how much danger there actually is of being electrocuted by a camera that is running off 4 x AA batteries?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
17 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Shocking?

I would guess there is a big capacitor in there somewhere to power the flash. The small DC voltage from the batteries can be multiplied up quite a lot with an inverter. I doubt it would do you much damage, though.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

While unlikely to be fatal, there certainly is a significant risk of shock from the flash circuitry of a camera. The flash tube is fired by discharging a capacitor which is charged up to several hundred volts.
http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/11/important-warning-camera-flash.html
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

It is all symptomatic of the Health & Safety culture we now "enjoy". There are endless examples of such overkill (sorry!).
I also have an antique Pentax 430RS which gives excellent service despite a handbook more like Encyclopedia Brittanica. I have read most of it,,, ,but am now of a age that about 10% is absorbed. It does have a "proper" viewfinder which is invaluable in bright sunlight, (which we have right now), and which defeats most with newer hardware and only a screen to look at!.
Community Veteran

Quote from: colintivy
It does have a "proper" viewfinder which is invaluable in bright sunlight,

Quite agree, I much prefer a viewfinder for composition. As it happens the Pentax I have doesn't have screen preview/composition (in common with most DSLR's I think, only for post taking review, the length of time that shows can be varied. The screen in screen-only type cameras is the major source of battery drain.
Some of the later screen only types have a rotating/angling mounting so the screen can be moved out of direct sunlight I believe, which I guess if you must have this type of camera is a good idea.
@ Denzil and Foresee, thank you for that info, I'll remember to be careful should I ever facny delving inside my camera.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
It is all symptomatic of the Health & Safety culture we now "enjoy". There are endless examples of such overkill (sorry!).

I believe the warning is appropriate and have probably been there before the HS culture that we now live in. I believe the danger is more from the involuntary reaction to the shock than to electrocution. I speak as someone that have on several occasions had several hundred volts shocks from a small Geiger tube fitted in a personal radiation monitor, it does make one jump a bit  Grin
Community Veteran

I hope you didn't snap when you read the warning Petlew Wink
Community Veteran

Again quite right itsme, When I was a service engineer for Hoover we were issued with a Metrome meter, which could deliver a nasty shock if you were "silly" enough to hold the leads when it was discharged, indeed some spiteful engineers would set up their unsuspecting colleagues to receive such a shock. However I think you are quite right, it is more the surprise than the voltage as there is very little amperage in the circuit. We had two types; one was a wind-up the other was switch thyristor operated.

Community Veteran

@ artmo, no, I saw it all in black and white...

Community Veteran

And thinking negative thoughts...

Community Veteran

See what develops next Wink
Community Veteran

Ok, let's look on the positive side of things...

Community Veteran

Bet Shutter would like this thread Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Yes, his names certainly in the frame for this one...

Fixes: 101

Well perhaps he shouldn't have been so snap happy....... Wink ;P
Will Moderate For Thanks