cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocking (new?) credit card tactic

johpal
Grafter

Shocking (new?) credit card tactic

My wife and I have our own bank accounts  (we never got around to joining them up). She also has her own credit card. Both are with the N*****t Bank. There is a DD in place that will cover the minimum amount payable on the credit card.
For the last couple of months, my mother-in-law's health has deteriorated sharply. From being independent, she has now moved into a nursing home. Avid readers of this noticeboard will also be aware of my own recent bout of ill health. With these major distractions, the credit card payments have been left to 'tick over' - all the requirements of the agreement have been met.
This afternoon, my wife answered a telephone call; she doesn't often raise her voice, but she was giving somebody a real earful! A financial company called, stating that for the last 2 months, only the minimum payment had been made on the credit card. They were offering her a preferential interest rate, with the payments spread over a longer period, to help with any financial difficulties.
My wife's ire I consider quite justified. The apparent 'leak' of her financial transactions I find unforgivable and she is, as I write, searching for an alternative financial institution to house her finances (having been with the bank from her days as a student, some 30 years ago).
Has anybody else had a call like this?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Shocking (new?) credit card tactic

Not had a call that got that far..... whenever I get a call , that asks to speak to me. I always ask, who is calling, and what it is about. so that I can be on the defensive from the start!....  Several calls have been from a "money bank".... and these usually get the phone put down on them before they get any further....
I suspect the call you had progressed further than that, and was in fact, a "supposition" on the caller`s part, that your payments had only been minimal.... and they were offering their " services" to help you out.!... in other words a scam...
You should be able to get the caller`s number from the 1471 or your phone bill... and then check them out...  hopefully the "earful" they got, will deter them from further "harrassing" calls...
Community Veteran

No, no calls like that, but a standard credit check will reveal that kind of information about anyone.
i.e. all HP agreements of any sort you have show the following for each month you are expected to pay
No payment made
Minimum or less payment made
Other payment made
And a flag to show if account is "in order" or "out of order"
pierre_pierre
Grafter

re phone calls - doesnt work.  I had several calls from a person claiming to be my bank, I got the hump with them, and they were calling from  NUMBER WITHHELD,
I explained to them I was security concious and didnt live far from the bank, and would check with them, they said it might be somebody from head office.. Next time I said put it in writing, third time, well were is the writing part, then I did get writain comunication, Yes they were from a head office branch in Bristol.  The manager of the department phned me at an agreed time, and got short shiift from me on security
Community Veteran

Yeah, I've had several phone calls from my bank, who insist that I give them all sorts of security info before they will talk to me.
I tell them to get knotted and they phoned me, they should be proving who they are.
I just refuse to talk to them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Transferred some money into my account which was to pay for a holiday.
Within days got a call from the Bank to say they could give me advice on any investments I might wish to make.
I told them I could not see how they were in a position to advise me when they can't even make decisions about their own finances which would have left them bankrupt if it hadn't been for the government bailing them out !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Haven't had a phone call but, I've had a letter purporting to come from a very very well known high-street department store with whom I have a Mastercard account saying, much the same thing your phone call did johpal.
It was filed in that miscellaneous bin...
Bet that went down well gleneagles Grin
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

I bank with the Internet arm of the Co-operative Bank (Smile) and can safely say that they have never called me unsolicited in all the years I have been with them. 
It is a super bank to be with and their website is very clear and easy to navigate.  If you don't need access to a branch (there aren't that many Co-operative banks around) then I would recommend them.  Personally I very rarely enter banking premises so it's no problem to me.
johpal
Grafter

Thanks all  for the comments. @fourfourdevon: Thanks for the tip-off about credit rating checks. @shutter: The call number was 'WITHELD'. I reckon this was part of a scam.
My wife certainly gave the guy an earful; I know she can use colourful language when she wishes and this was certainly florid; it alarmed me several rooms away. Her bank probably won't be losing a customer so soon, but she is visiting the local branch this morning to discuss the call with the manager.
@poppy: I too use an internet bank (likewise, building society & insurance) and do not require the services of a physical branch, simply a 'hole in the wall' for cash. My wife however, likes the local presence.