cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocked and very angry!!

thisoldman
Grafter

Shocked and very angry!!

Last night i had the misfortune to watch panorama on bbc1. It was about malpractices at a national vetinary chain.
The senior partner was eventually struck off for  unprofessional activities, but still acts as practice manager!
The programme seemed to give the impression that the royal college of vets is another toothless organization.
The programme made me  think of how much my dog has cost me over the 13 years and I began to slightly wonder if my vet was all above  board
I say this because he never gives anyone  a detailed treatment breakdown. Reception just tells me the total and gives a receipt
Last time i asked , afew years ago it ttok 3 weeks to get the breakdown of costs and like most people i am not in a position to query vet medical practice.
Over 13 years to date i have spent:
food.                                                          £4500
vet                                                               £14,875
transport to vet                                          £975
kennell fees                                               £1275           ( i was in hospital, not on holiday)

Currently the dog is costing  £122 per month     insulin,needles,dip sticks,skin allergy injection and arthritis tablets
His insurance was cancelled when he became 8yrs old.
OK so I love my dog  but.          look at the costs..
Have any of you dear posters had a bad experience at your vet?
13 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Shocked and very angry!!

How can you spend £975 on transport for a dog?

thisoldman
Grafter

the nearest decent vets is 25 miles away, so  a double journey every month for 13 years  costs........
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: thisoldman
Have any of you dear posters had a bad experience at your vet?
Yes I used to have a whippet, Lovely dog and miss him, He used to howl in pain most nights and I hadnt a clue what was wrong with him, Took him to my local vets and the guy said he is suffering from fits and prescribed him tablets for this, Few nights into the medication he began howling again, Im 6ft 2inches tall and well built and I can tell you I was in tears as there was nothing I could do to help him make it go away.
Went to another local vet for a second opinion, Would you believe my dog was past his racing days and had several trophies, Anyway the second opinion was and it all made sense when I was given it,  He was suffering from cramp on one of his back legs And all I had to do was simply massage it for him on a regular basis.
Needless to say you can imagine how I felt towards my first local vet whom I thought had good reputation!!
thisoldman
Grafter

yes i can fully understand your hurt    steve.

Years ago when i first bought the dog from the rspca, he had several ear infections every week and the then vet wanted to remove the bones from his inner ear and thus make him deaf.
I was fortunate in working in a univ with a vet school, so i persuaded them to give me a prof opinion. It transpired that the dog had a skin allergy,he is allergic to over 400 substances.  Several tests later, they made a skin allergy injection product and hes been fine as far as ear infections go.
When i told the rspca about this  , they simply said caveat emptor........let the buyer beware.
Sometimes i do wonder if docs/vets kill more people than they cure.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Aww thats good news with your results, Im a complete animal lover of all shapes and sizes, We got him from my ex girlfriends sister, She used to race him, I took him when she was ( sadly
) done with him and so was learning all about them and what he likes to eat etc, He used to cry in pain for a few min most nights and just be lying there not moving, He looked at me, First few times I could cope with it and tried figuring out what was matter, Then when it got more regular I was in tears saying to him, " I wish you could tell me whats wrong so i can help you"
Suppose it could of been my fault aswell and if i recall correctly it happened on days where Id let him off the leash and let him have a good ole run " He used to love it" I can tell you though from that day on that dog learnt me one thing in life, If in doubt always seek a second opinion!!.
thisoldman
Grafter

I empathise with you.
Since 2000 dog has had:
                                                Arthritis
                                                Several operations for benign tumours
                                                Diabetes
                                                Gum disease
                                                  cataracts:now totally blind
                                                  Pancreas infection
                                                  Bladder infections
                                                  Paw/nail problems
                                                  Skin infections

you can see where the money has gone
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Aww that's not so good though, It is a very expensive business for us the customer but when It comes down to the nitty gritty, Love toward our companion is something money cant buy, Bloody expensive though!! Grin
Community Veteran

is there not a website where pet people can contrast and compare treatments and costs offered by vets?
thisoldman, in contrast to the programme you saw, have you watched 'bionic vet'? 
thisoldman
Grafter

g'day  artificer:  yes i saw that and was amazed but i fear that poor wee mortals like me could never afford that sort of treatment.
I also had a wondefull chat with a vet in wales.........john burns... who makes/sells his own dog food. Since my dog went onto  Burns  high Oats  he has been greatly improved.

John told me  (rightly or wrongly, that most dog food is 99%  rubbish.

please see  www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Ask yourself whether euthanasia is a kinder answer (for the animal).

jmd
Grafter

I too watched the programme and felt they had treated it in the same way as they treat these documentaries they do about bad treatment at nursing/care homes.  Like the staff in care homes, trainee vet nurses are badly paid - for some reason it is considered that if they love animals they are not worried about money!   I wondered why some owners carried on using that Vet if they did not feel they were doing the right thing or an incident had caused them and their pet distress.
I just wondered why the BBC picked that chain of Vets - did an ex member of staff tell about what went on or what?
As a dog owner now for 2 yrs [which is thanks to me putting a rant on this Forum about rescues refusing you a dog without experience which gained me a new friend and a dog] so far I have not had to spend too much on Vet's fees - the vaccinations and a couple of other visits.  I have insurance and I shopped around what i hoped was a reasonable but good policy.  But of course your insurance has an excess on it and does not cover visits when your dog has a simple problem that costs £20. So if you have a dog that you have to keep taking to Vet with simple things then costs mount up before you can claim insurance.
You just hope that the vet you visit is reliable and not out to make money so you go by reputation, convenience etc.  I am sure that if I felt the Vet was trying to scam me then I would go elsewhere - you have to have some commonsense.
thisoldman
Grafter

well said jmdlp. have a nice day
nadger
Rising Star

Just watched my recording of the programme and was disgusted by what I saw. We've had cats for 40 years ( 3 in total) and one has to trust and respect ones vet.
I've never used Medivet but know all the branches they showed in the programme.