cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocked and stunned!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Shocked and stunned!

I had to visit the local hospital this week, (nothing serious just a retinal scan) and the "info" screen in the waiting area was rebooting ---- to wait for it:-

XP
And NO it wasn't a screen saver.
24 REPLIES
Fixes: 105

Re: Shocked and stunned!

a lot of ATM's still run XP.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Computers running XP in certain environments are still supported by Microsoft, usually medical, commercial and governmental systems, so not really surprising, hell, the local tesco EPOS system is XP based (and I was thoroughly amused to see the self-serve computer that the lackeys operate with "NTLDR is missing" on it's screen!!), so XP hasn't died yet... Smiley
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

When I was in hospital in the spring  I saw a few PC's running XP, but they were being replaced with new machines - Windows 8.1 !!!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mal08
Windows 8.1 !!!

Uh-oh... Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't understand what the fuss is about Biker? - Loads of POS (Point Of Sale) terminals (tills etc) use XP or XP embedded. It's a proven OS for service machines that need to run for long periods.
Where I used to work we had 3 self service machines at one site. Two were running WinXP, one was running linux. Guess which one we had the most trouble with? Yup, good old linux beastie was always causing hassle. Granted it was usually hardware... but it was the software that kept reporting it as faulty and putting it out of action  Crazy
A lot of bladder scanners in hospital use XP too. XP is also still popular for carputers and it would be my OS of choice for a mini ITX based home built router too.
As much as I like and enjoy using Win7, XP is in many ways far better.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: dvorak
ATM's still run XP

You always notice the XP screen on those when they crash.
Community Veteran

Which could be due to reasons other than MS's fault.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: 7up
I don't understand what the fuss is about Biker? - Loads of POS (Point Of Sale) terminals (tills etc) use XP or XP embedded. It's a proven OS for service machines that need to run for long periods.

This wasn't a POS machine at all. It was a large lcd (normally) displaying patient info like bus info etc. I know for a fact that they had only just updated the doctor/surgery machines to XP a couple of years ago from NT4.
Community Veteran

XP,
Quite good for the health service, they are usually so far behind I am surprised it wasn't windows 98se !
Wink
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy

This wasn't a POS machine at all. It was a large lcd (normally) displaying patient info like bus info etc. I know for a fact that they had only just updated the doctor/surgery machines to XP a couple of years ago from NT4.

But does it need to be anything newer? - As long as it isn't mission critical and works perfectly well as it is what reason would they need to upgrade for? - MS still support this OS to large coporations so why would they want to shell out more money to upgade to a more expensive OS?
Community Veteran

But does it need to be anything newer?

No, but if only my council agreed.
It seems every time I visit council offices they have new desks, monitors, PC's, and certainly no XP system in sight.
Maybe the council tax would stop rising then.
Community Veteran

Councils do have a tendancy to like nice new things at the locals expense. I've worked for a couple of them and they think nothing of spending other peoples money on themselves.
Community Veteran

The spending money at the taxpayer's expense is due to stupid policy, if a council comes under-budget one year, then they receive less money the next as central government will think they don't need it, so they have to spend money to keep their already squeezed budgets up, whether it's wastefully buying up computers or dumping a but of tarmac in a hole that'll break open the following year and will need filling again and thus money spending on it...
So don't blame the councils, it's them lot down in westminster setting the stupid rules on council budgets...
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
So don't blame the councils

Why not? Ultimately they have more brain power together than Westminster and yet not one of them has said "Look, we've saved this amount this year which you can have back but we can't guarantee it next year".
If they all did that and stopped playing political games this country wouldn't be in such a mess in the first place.