cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shock! Horror! a politician keeps an election pledge!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Shock! Horror! a politician keeps an election pledge!

None other than Boris Johnson. Scrapping the Western extension of congestion charge zone in London.
Petlew reaches for the smelling salts.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Shock! Horror! a politician keeps an election pledge!

Don't worry you'll wake up soon and it will be all over Wink Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Now Boris has a problem to fill the financial hole he's left in his budget by doing away with the zone Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

I'd given up running a sameday courier service when western extension came in but the existing one was a real pain in the posterior  Cry
Most of the time there was only one package going into the zone so that had to carry all the charge which I used to show as a separate item on the invoice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
Now Boris has a problem to fill the financial hole he's left in his budget by doing away with the zone Roll eyes

This is true. But politically its done him no harm whatsoever and may even gained him some support (and damaged Red Ken's in the process) in the now out-of-the-zone west London. At least one hospital that was inside the zone attracted the charge and charged for parking as well.
Livingstone introduced the western extension. after a much reported consultation was almost 100% against it. But he went ahead with it anyway on a "I want it so, s*" the rest of them" basis, trying to tell anybody who listened that there was universal support when there wasn't. Even Ken's supporters were skeptical about this one.
I have no axe to grind, I live just outside the M25 ring and haven't been in to central London for 20 years or more. I simply applaud a, any, politician who keeps a promise.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Have to agree with you on politicians keeping their promises.  Few and far between.  I'm in a group of ex Equitable Life policyholders and we had tremendous support from all parties prior to the election.  The promise made to us has been watered down from what was originally  promised and we are still fighting.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not many weeks ago when they announced that the Dartford crossng fees would rise,
tWhen transport minister Mike Penning was asked in October if the extra cash would be ring-fenced for crossing improvements, he replied: "Absolutely".
that was live on BBC Essex
now in a written reply in Hansard has been found today
Money from planned toll increases at the Dartford Crossing will not be ring-fenced to fund improvements at the site, despite previous assurances.
Under the government's Spending Review plans, charges for cars could rise from £1.50 to £2 in 2011 and £2.50 in 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12066219