cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheffield on bbc1 sunday: will we be subjected to the plusnet evangelical choir?

thisoldman
Grafter

Sheffield on bbc1 sunday: will we be subjected to the plusnet evangelical choir?

On Sunday, those lunatics at the bbc, are transmitting Songs of Praise, from Sheffield.
Wonder who we might see.  A performance by the adam walker heavy metal band,  Mand singing her heart out "save my fotie team",   
Jamesh praying  "oh lord no more tickets please"
A special plus net evangelical choir rendition of  "Sorry Sorry.......Forgive me Lord"
the mind boggles.
25 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Sheffield on bbc1 sunday: will we be subjected to the plusnet evangelical choir?

Didn't know about that so now I will make a point of tuning in.  I do not usually watch SoP so thanks for the pointer.
I hope that it is from Sheffield Cathedral, which is a very old and beautiful building. It is situated just about  5 to 10 minutes walk away from our very own Plusnet towers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Sheffield on bbc1 sunday: will we be subjected to the plusnet evangelical choir?

@thisoldman
As a self confessed atheist (from a very religious background) who doesn't watch more that the last 5 minutes usually with the sound muted while waiting for whatever follows it. I find your constant attacks on a programme that gives pleasure to many people quite unwarranted.
If you don't like it; do what you suggest to others who make objections to your posts and...Don't watch it.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Songs of Praise On: BBC 1 S unday 24th October 2010 Time: 16:30 to 17:05 (35 minutes long)
Surprising Sheffield.
Aled Jones discovers there's more to the city than steel and snooker when he meets Britain's oldest married couple and becomes a magician's apprentice. With hymns from St Oswald's Church, Kate Rusby and The Priests.
(Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
nadger
Rising Star

Saw Britain's oldest married couple on BBC yesterday - they were great  Smiley
When she was about 13 our daughter took part in a Christingle Songs of Praise, from Leighton Buzzard, so we went to all the rehearsals and the actual recording.
Albeit it was going out in December it was recorded at beginning of November - they asked us to make sure we didn't have on our Remembrance Day poppies as that would have given the game away.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@thisoldman

those lunatics at the bbc,

From that statement..... I assume you have either........
a).  professional medical qualifications to pronounce the persons on whom you attach the name "lunatic"  ......  or .........
b). substantive documents, supplied to you , by qualified medical persons,  to prove the statement is true...
otherwise, may I politely suggest,
you stop calling all and sundry, any derisive term you deem necessary, to attach to the persons involved in the subject matter of your prolific  postings
I am sure you are an educated person, and should not have recourse to the form of language that you use, to get your message across.

nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter

a).   professional medical qualifications to pronounce the persons on whom you attach the name "lunatic"  ......  or .........
Not that I've been sectioned but doesn't it take two doctors to pronounce someone insane?
thisoldman
Grafter

I have noted with bemused interest the various replies to this post.
The terms  "lunatics"," pigeonheads" were used in a simple generic sense.As humpty dumpty once remarked, when I use a word,it means whatever I want it to mean.
Rest assured, I am quite familiar with  the activities of the BBC, having been for many years a confidant of  one of the governors.
The bbc is no different from many organizations, in respect of the needless waste and  dubious executive expenses it lavishes on its staff.
Leaving personal opinion aside , I can assure you that I am indeed admirably qualified to assess the personality dynamics of individuals, and I have over the years , earned both a living and academic respect for my professional assessments.
But some of you need to understand the concept of individual privacy and to come to terms with the veracity of what I post.
I am not one of these people who flies off the handle on a sudden whim. On the contrary,  my" issues"  with certain people and events
usually have a well  research base, and i standy by my asertion that  " my word is my bond"
I fully appreciate that few of you have the same background and facilities as I do.  That does not in my view give you a licence to mock or
dismiss my remarks out of hand.
N/A

Well, 'tis a bit of a blanket statement.  I bow to your experience and knowledge as the only contact I have with the BBC (apart from viewing it of course) is paying the television licence.
However, might it be possible that there is at least one person who works at the BBC and is not a 'lunatic' or 'pigeonhead'?
I do hope so!    Shocked
thisoldman
Grafter

Yes indeed poppy.
There is no need for you of all people to bow  (lol)  I have found your posts eminently sensible, and I rather suspect, that you are indeed blessed with both a finely tuned mind and a rare abilty to express yourself in here ,both eloquently and  meaningfully.
RobDickson
Grafter

On a lighter note, might we see Aled Jones doing the Full Monty?
nadger
Rising Star

Would you be walking on air if he did  Cool
RobDickson
Grafter

I doubt it. Now, if Katherine Jenkins (who's also presented Songs of Praise) did the Full Monty I would be!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: thisoldman
Rest assured, I am quite familiar with  the activities of the BBC, having been for many years a confidant of  one of the governors.
The bbc is no different from many organizations, in respect of the needless waste and  dubious executive expenses it lavishes on its staff.
Leaving personal opinion aside , I can assure you that I am indeed admirably qualified to assess the personality dynamics of individuals, and I have over the years , earned both a living and academic respect for my professional assessments.

I fully appreciate that few of you have the same background and facilities as I do. 

It would be interesting for us if you were to elaborate on these assertions.
The sceptical, without some corroboration, might assume without it your claims are merely the product of an over-fertile mind.
The BBC has never been shy of washing its dirty linen in public, neither should you be.
I think we should be told!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I was surprised to see that Songs of Praise was coming from Sheffield because I didn't realise there where enough Christians in Sheffield to assemble a choir.