Sheffield at number five

nadger
Rising Star

Sheffield at number five

Nice to see that Sheffield are doing so well in the league  Cheesy
29 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Sheffield at number five

They've probably included Rotherham in with Sheffield and I hear there is a lot of piracy going on there Lips are sealed
Anyway it illustrates the widespread love of culture in the area but the lack of means to pay for it. Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 105

That report and study has more holes in it than Swiss cheese.
Will Moderate For Thanks
nadger
Rising Star

This item was also interesting but person's solution may be seen as rather extreme  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Shows how out of touch I am - I had never heard of Ed Sheeran  Embarrassed
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Really? Even I have heard of him! (since yesterday evening when  a question about his "+" album featured in The Chase TV quiz)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Illegal Music Downloads

Seems that Manchester holds the UK record for illegal music downloads. It's thought this is due to the high level of students living in the area.
One young musician said he had sold around 2 million copies of his work but the total downloaded was around 9 million but he didn't seem all that bothered about it.
The music industry held a different opinion and they were able to say they could identify who was downloading what and that's how they knew how many illegal copies had been downloaded.
Seems they were more unsure of what could be done about it.
Fixes: 125

Re: Illegal Music Downloads

They may have the IP addresses and, through the courts, the name and address that was using the IP at the time of the download but that doesn't prove who actually downloaded it.
It'd be a bit like prosecuting the owner of a car used in a crime after he lent it to someone else or was even stolen.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

itsme
Grafter

But knowing the owner of the car allow the police to search the home of the registered owner for the stolen goods and if found they are taken to court.
Knowing the IP address allow the user address to be found and allow the authorities to examine the PC's at the address for illegal downloads and if found for them to be prosecuted . 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I thought the normal procedure was to blackmail the owner of the IP to pay several hundred pounds to avoid being taken to court on no more evidence than that their IP was associated with the download.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

No different to getting a speeding summons with the evidence coming from a speed camera. You either pay the fine or get taken to court.
David_W
Rising Star

I'd say it's 101% wrong, if I were to download something off bit-torrent now my location would be shown as London....
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
How many people in another county were shown as in Sheffield?
itsme
Grafter

Speed camera snap your registration plate because you are speeding, the police go to DVLA to get the address.
Your IP address come up as illegal  downloading so the rights holder go to the ISP via the courts to get the house address
Rich
Grafter

Quote from: David
I'd say it's 101% wrong, if I were to download something off bit-torrent now my location would be shown as London....
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
How many people in another county were shown as in Sheffield?

Ours shows as just north of Skipton - about 100 miles from actual location.  Speed test on same site is also grossly inaccurate!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

me too and that is a long way from Dorset