cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheds

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Sheds

In light of George Clarkes Amazing spaces shed of the year...
What do you do with yours?
I've got two.. both filled with junk, car parts, paints, old bits of gardening stuff and the like.. nothing exceptional really but i figured some of you must have interesting uses for yours?
I'm obviously interested in sundays show which has a microshed.. a mini brake van on a mini garden railway. Can't really see it qualifying as a shed but its still cool!
I've also seen a growing trend for people to start putting sheds on trailers and tow them along. Can't quite understand this one myself as surely it would be cheaper to buy an old caravan... ?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Sheds

@ 7up..... When we bought a caravan, a "friend" told me of the derisory term for caravanners......

"Shed Dragger"...
And it has stuck in my mind ever since....  we sold the caravan after 18 months..... just never liked towing the thing... slowed me down on long journeys... difficult to manouever,... extra diesel costs... no fun at all.... and at the end of our "season"... the last time we used it... on the morning of our departure from the site. it was chucking it down... so I got soaked removing the awning, and all the packing away, before we started a 250 mile journey home.....
Fun... ?  Oh yeah  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

At Adair Towers, the garage is just long enough for the limo. When I bought the Towers neither the Surveyor nor me spotted the double layer roof. The devious crafty previous owner had built a new roof on top of the old asbestos one. It must be the only concrete panel and asbestos garage with Grade II Listing. At present the building is a transitional woodwork shop complete with sawdust and lumps of wood.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Mine has gardening things in it varying from old - out of date and probably illegal - spray chemicals through to plastic bird and insect netting and multitudinous plant pots
There is also a Norlett rotavator - at least 35 years old and still working although with a new electronic ignition system
and a lawnmower, which is much newer
The lawnmower is raised in bricks over winter doe to the occasional flood from the nearby ditch which puts about 3" of water on the floor
Everything else is on steel shelf units - also 30 years old and rusty but still functioning - with bags of gravel etc. on the bottom
Note that the shed cannot be described as a thing of beauty as it is made from powder coated steel corrugated sheets on a concrete base - the previous owner owned a fabrication shop and there were more pieces of galvanised steel sections used for fences etc.t than you would think possible
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Technically I have three sheds (though two are my uncle's landlord's), my shed that I own I have mostly small engine-related stuff in, and is where I tend to be if I'm in the mood for getting greasy, the back shed in the garden is a rotting, collapsing heap where I keep the mowers & strimmers aswell as the gardening tools, has a nice big heavy workshop table in there though, but the lack of power and decent light (and the risk of the roof caving in!!) is not conducive to useful working conditions, and the side shed is also a damp, rotting collapse-o-matic that has a stack of used lengths of wood in it, the latter two sheds are also home to rats, mice, spiders and other creatures I don't want to associate with...
Fixes: 47

I have 2 sheds at the bottom of the garden.
One is a store for gardening equipment and needs painting.
The other is a dumping ground for general rubbish that once had a use but no more.
This shed needs demolishing and replacing.
The roof is in perfect condition but the rear wall is rotting away.
I find sheds are like lofts.
Stuff goes in there as it might be needed and then doesn't see the light of day for years indicating that it wasn't really needed anyway.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't have a shed these days but at the last house I had one, must have been one of the best sheds in the area as I added insulation fibre, carpet and other electrical items which needed to be kept dry.
In the middle of winter, often in the early hours of the morning a small heater was enough to keep the place warm and dry.
Shutter will have no problem in guessing what I was up to, anyone else any ideas .?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Model railway?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Radio Ham?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ gleneagles..... Strat got there before me..... but I recognised the environment, because I used to have a very similar shed thirty years ago... brick built... fibre boarded insulation, and interior fittings by me... lovely "man cave"... especially as the xyl at that time hadn`t a clue what all the electronics stuff was ... ( apart from recognising an old telly I used to pick up DX  TV  from France and other distant UK stations )...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Radio Ham.
In those days  I was working yet could find the time to follow that hobby, now I am retired I seem to have less time although I was lucky to be involved in amateur radio at that time when the bands were not crowded as much and more were available for use by amateurs.
During the last war a number of amateur radio operators were sent home when responding to call up papers from the army, instead they monitored the airwaves for messages from the enemy which would have been in code but were then sent on to Betchley.
No shed these days just a garage full of junk.
Happy days.