cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shed Draggers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Shed Draggers

The bane of just about every motorist on the road,  especially the day before Easter Friday !...

About 15 years ago, my missus decided that we needed a caravan, so that we could take the grandchildren on hols and have fun! ... Oh Yeah.. !

might have been fun for her, but I hated every minute of it,.. right from the words ... " the grandchildren are coming on holiday with us for a week, where shall we take them"... visions of getting it ready for the trip, loading it up, getting it balanced. checking water , toilet, tyres... food , and every other minute detail... then making sure the car was in good enough condition to tow the blinking thing.

Then came the day... go to the storage, and collect it... making sure the wing mirrors were in the right positon, and that the rear number plate and lights worked correctly, before finally, making that first exit on to the main road... ( a sharp left turn from a farm gate, into a fairly busy road... Horror !.

gradually, as I progressed to collect the family, I began to "get used" to having this huge great shed following me.. and even getting used to the width and turning circle...   

Having collected the family, and made sure the house was locked up... we set off again... usually a journey of about 150 miles... needing, ( for me ) three stops to regain my senses !.. plus numerous other stops in layby`s to let the traffic that had built up behind me, pass and get on with their lives.

Hate it ..... Hate it... Hate it... was in my mind every mile of the way.. then I had the job of parking it on some site... usually this was a straight forward drive on to position. then jack it up, and detach the car.  more work involved, get out the awning, and set that up..  ( remember to take it down BEFORE it rains, when we leave the site  ! ! !)..

Ah yes... the joys of caravanning....   We only had it for about 4 months, before I convinced her we should sell it... 

Well, in the Daily Mail today.. I saw this one... and ..... maybe... maybe............  nah... not a chance... Huh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3875310/Is-future-caravanning-Tiny-two-person-...

11 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Shed Draggers

Never dragged my own shed around but have stayed in several sheds in holiday camps. any more than 5 days to a week and I am ready to screamRoll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Never fancied a caravan, once commented to a friend how much he must be saving having one but he claimed the opposite was true when insurance and all other costs were factored in.

Now a motorhome is something I could have taken too in my younger days, hired one once and was quite impressed. sadly I could never afford to buy one.

The old vw ones were a icon and in good nick are worth a fair bit these days.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

LOL shutter Shed Draggers Cheesy

PS the new one is for off grid ,,,,,,,, Spoon whittlers Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Dabbler

Ah Tuggers. I was wondering what you were on about. Yeah my wife wanted me to get one also. She was told to go do one then i came up with this bright idea

http://mytintent.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page.html

Not long back from The Black Forrest and Holland. Did a couple of nights in Belgium also. Dragging it to Italy next year then i build a larger one but better finish.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

For years, my parents had a trailer tent that could sleep 6. It was great because the price of a plot for a couple of weeks was very cheap (they had to be frugal as 6 children can be a lot of money if you plan on getting hotels or a static caravan) and me and my brother had our own tents outside for sleeping. The journeys themselves were long and terrifying for my dad - we lived in Germany at the time so we had access to most of Europe, just had to drive there. Sometimes it would take a couple of days to get to where we were planning on having our holiday. Some good times in that trailer tent. Went to Spain, France and Italy.

Now that we are all adults, my parents suddenly had more money so got a dutch barge that they spend around 5-6 weeks on during the year. Me and the siblings take it in turns to go with them each year with our own children.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran

When I was a kid we usually went camping on holiday. Just once my Dad hired a caravan in advance at a site. All we knew about the caravan was that it sleeps six, which was good as there was six of us, and was called waverly. When we got there it was a little thing. Sleeps two more like.

Still it was fun. Things seemed more fun back then. Cheap and cheerful. Even when you end up sleeping on the floor.

Dabbler

My parents would hire a static caravan every year. Always the Red Lion caravan park in Arbroath. I was up that way a couple of years ago and its still there. 

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

All quiet on the western front here in Wales.... until next summer when they'll be back with a vengeance clogging up our roads and blocking up those laybys. Still, look on the bright side, those four by four posers will have some use for a few days. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My shed didn't come with wheels... Sad

Still, if it had, it'd have probably rolled away by now... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

shutter wrote:

might have been fun for her, but I hated every minute of it,.. right from the words ... " the grandchildren are coming on holiday with us for a week, where shall we take them"... visions of getting it ready for the trip, loading it up, getting it balanced. checking water , toilet, tyres... food , and every other minute detail..

Dude seriously you should have just bought a knackered transit van, chucked a couple of mattresses on the floor with a bucket by the back door for the toilet, a few bottles of fizz and all the other bits us blokes cope with when we're doing things the hardcore way.

She'd never torture you like that again Cheesy

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

shutter wrote:

Well, in the Daily Mail today.. I saw this one... and ..... maybe... maybe............  nah... not a chance... Huh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3875310/Is-future-caravanning-Tiny-two-person-...

Oh man thats horrible! The book case to the side is horrendous too - just imagine the mess that would make while travelling!

Frankly I think this is far more appealing:

But if i'm honest, a converted DD bus or DD coach is preferable - big, plenty of space, a seperate floor to escape from others if theres an arguement, plenty of luggage space etc etc etc. Just like these guys:

They live in it full time (no they're not gypsies, just normal people priced out of the housing market). I met Stacey (pictured) a few years back at Whitstable bowling alley where she works and got talking to her about the bus (and with a bit of flattery about the brilliance of it she boosted my bowling scores for me lol). She reckons it costs them just £200-£300 a month in living expenses - rent in a field, gas and leccy included in that. They also save a lot of money in the bank doing this and most of their friends are pretty envious of it but enjoy the weekend parties when noise and neighbours aren't of concern.

I had the same idea (though with a smarter outside to the vehicle) and my missus was dead set against it.. until she spoke with stacey and was then pretty convinced it was practical. She wouldn't want to now we have 7up jnr but back then she was swayable. Plenty of other people are doing it too and the values of double deckers is holding quite well at present. There was a guy on George Clarkes amazing spaces who also did a DD bus to hire out - it's a popular idea these days.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!