Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharpie Dating Vegetables

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sharpie Dating Vegetables

No, it's not a Casanova type of Love Story.
When we buy Potatoes and Onions, if there are still some left in their racks in the kitchen, and even if there are non, we write, using a Sharpie, the Store and D.O.P. on at least one of the Spuds / Onions.
T=Tesco, A=Aldi, As=ASDA and G=Greengrocer.
Especially if we have Guests or Family over, and there are uncooked Veg left over.
Different suppliers veg lasts for varying amounts of time, Aldi seems to last the shortest period.
So in the same rack, newer dated veg are put at the bottom of the rack, with older (dated) veg at the top !
A bit OTT, but it works for us, we started doing this when staying abroad, where F&V tends to go off quite quickly.
Same goes for Bread in the Freezer, dated on top, and lettered A-Z on the end, which faces out.
Same goes for tins / bottles that are used over a long period of time.
And Sparkling water, very varying Use By Dates, BIG Sharpie is easier to read when there are a lot of bottles !
Chiller items too, the small use by dates, are enhanced by a BIG Sharpie use by DAY.
Our Cook loves doing this, she really does !!
We use a small tip Sharpie for writing on Grapes.......
(Kidding)

Similarly for medication, which is dated by the Pharmacy, but an end of packet letter A-Z is easier to read, in BIG Sharpie.

In theory stock rotation would negate the need for this, but before we started doing it, we would occasionally find an item with a well passed UBD at the back of a cupboard
What do you do ?
Have fun !
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Sharpie Dating Vegetables

Quote from: PlusComUK
What do you do ?

After painting eaves and guttering for a few hours, relax with a cold beer.
One with no sharpie date on it. Smiley
Community Veteran

I use a sharpie to mark the date on a sauce or marinade which is put in the fridge after opening.
When you wonder how long it has been in there for, you can tell if it is within its "use within 6 weeks of opening" date.
Saves eating stuff that has been in there for years or throwing stuff out that is still good.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I tend to use the is it mouldy/smelly/squishy test  and if its not use it .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: DomS
I use a sharpie to mark the date on a sauce or marinade which is put in the fridge after opening.
When you wonder how long it has been in there for, you can tell if it is within its "use within 6 weeks of opening" date.
Saves eating stuff that has been in there for years or throwing stuff out that is still good.

I do that too !!
itsme
Grafter

What's a sharpie?
Community Veteran

Felt tip pen that is very hard to get off !
TORPC
Grafter

Can I ask what made you think of the sensible idea in the 1st place
Infinity
Pro

It just came to me !
Something was needed to distinguish older items from newer items, even if they all looked good.
As mentioned, we were actually staying in Barbados, F&V does go off quickly, so an almost Daily Shop is undertaken.
And the items would get mixed up, before I introduced the Sharpie Dating method.
The only item it doesn't work well on is Coconuts !
One of the Staff just climbs up a Coconut Palm and chops one down...
We do occasionally stay in a Hotel for a few days as a treat, there we don't have to worry about marking the date on items.