cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharpest knife in the box

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sharpest knife in the box

After over forty years of marriage and at times addicted to buying kitchen gadgets and extras I find I have a kitchen draw full of various types and sizes of kitchen knives, cleavers and other potentially sharp appliances, which, I would like to get rid of.
Every now and again, the Police have a knife amnesty for would-be villains and potential murderers to anonymously hand in knives etc.
This would be a good time to get rid of my burgeoning collection of cutlery, however, if an amnesty is not in operation just carrying the items to my local amenity centre could get me in a lot of trouble if involved in an accident on the way by the Police. Just having them in a public place is a bit of a no no these days.
So how does one unload unwanted knives?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Sharpest knife in the box

phone your local police office and ask them what they suggest.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had a similar issue a while back. The advice I got from the police was to transport then in the boot of the car in a locked box. Therefore I could not impulsively 'slice & dice' someone.
As long as you take reasonable precautions and don't carry them around in the open, so as to cause alarm or fear you will be ok.
Fixes: 121

It seems to be a bit of a grey area.  According the Ask the Police you can dispose of them in your wheelie bin or take them to the skip.
According to Durham Constabulary (couldn't find anything from my local constabulary) you can be stopped and searched and nothing mentioned about having a knife locked away in the boot.
I'd wrap the knife securely and safely and put it in the wheelie bin.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Fixes: 47

But what if the binman is a closet psychotic killer and you are supplying him with weapons....with your fingerprints all over them Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Petlew If we don't hear back from you within a few days we'll know it went horribly wrong for you. To me the most sensible sounding idea is Doris' if you did have the misfortune to get stopped, they'd only look stupid charging you with carrying offensive weapons in a locked box in your boot. Something that SO19 do all the time.
Fixes: 121

Quote from: Strat
But what if the binman is a closet psychotic killer and you are supplying him with weapons....with your fingerprints all over them Shocked
Well, obviously I'd wash it thoroughly first wearing a pair of marigolds and wrap it wearing the same Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Funnily enough, that small thing I have about taking them to my local "recycling" centre is a quick look around the staff there, handing in knives there seems to me it will only increase some of their [Censored] of weapons.
Er! why was [Censored] censored? a mod not a fan of north London football clubs perhaps!!
Funny that it doesn't happen with West Ham!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Petlew
..some of their [Censored] of weapons.
Er! why was [Censored] censored?

Because 'Arsenal' contains a certain word (even though the complete word is not particularly rude (unless you're a Spurs fan anyway)).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.