cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharpening an electric razor

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sharpening an electric razor

There are some wierd and wonderful suggestions on the internet regarding sharpening of blades in electric razors but do any of them really work.
ok the blades are supposed to be self sharpening and I know replacement heads are available (at a price!) but what do you do, if anything ?
Has anyone tried any of the various suggestions on the net or purchased one of the many things advertised which claim to restore blades to a new condition ?
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Sharpening an electric razor

It was the middle of last year since I replaced the blade set in my razor and the previous set went in over 5 years ago
A close look at my Philips shaver shows quite a clever design to enable self sharpening where each individual cutter on each rotor is spring loaded and moves up against the static blade as it wears to maintain a sharp edge.
I've never even seen blade sharpening tools however at around £25 for a cutter set every 4 or 5 years, not sure I'd invest in one.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Have been using "Philishave" shavers for about 50 years... never ever sharpened the blades.... have found it cheaper to buy a new Philishave shaver, rather than a new set of cutters.
Fixes: 125

I've had mine for a little over a year and was wondering about this (I think it was discussed in my thread when searching for a good shaver).
As I only use mine once or twice a week I expect it to last a good few years before it needs replacing  Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Have been using "Philishave" shavers for about 50 years... never ever sharpened the blades.... have found it cheaper to buy a new Philishave shaver, rather than a new set of cutters.

Me too!
For me, it's the battery that wears out before the blades!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Never had a battery fail on me...... charge it up once a week.... usually on Saturday night ( all night )...  Smiley
Community Veteran

I'm a wet shave man but use a Remington if I need to go out in the evening. Never had to worry about sharpening Wink
SteadVex
Grafter

after a bout of years use on a Phillip shave I notice it didn't shave so well, i'm one of those people who the electric razor looks like I shaved last night, for me I found taking the head apart and cleaning it helped bring back some of the closeness, although I've totally given up on electric now and given in to defeat that I just need to shave every day manual style  Cry