cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Defence

nadger
Rising Star

Shared Defence

Just watching France24 and it seems that eventually UK & France will share just one aircraft carrier with France having it on even dates and UK on odd dates.

9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Shared Defence

So will all British troops have to learn French & all French troops to learn English ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

and call it "un porte-avions ou un porte-aéronefs" as well
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Come on Oldjim we don't want that kind of language on the forums !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Nah!... it would never work... as soon as the French got it into one of their ports..... their fishermen would blockade the port and it would never come out again...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

better than our lot - they would run it aground on a sandbank  Embarrassed
thisoldman
Grafter

|It is good to see this topic being discussed.  Several influential advisers, warned fox et al of the consequences of this pact and that the agreement had been rushed out and not adequately considered.
Other notable critics  eg  Janes defence review have repeatedly argued against the agreement.
Time will surely show the folly of this arrangement with France.
Community Veteran

Once again, I have to mention that despite the unfortunate incident of the submarine, running aground.... The Royal Navy is still the Senior Service, and if one of it`s ships do run aground, they will do everything to get that ship back into service, as quickly as possible,

whereas the French will just wait until the fishermen decide they are losing too much money and give up on their blockade, before they go back to sea, and then the French will let our Navy have the carrier back again...
Mind you... I can forsee other problems.... how will the crew change over take place.?  will they have a "stand by " French and English crew on board ship, and at midnight each night, "All Change"...  Cheesy
nadger
Rising Star

Possibly the crew will have to be bilingual cross dressers  Smiley
Community Veteran

Well, as the (un)official Naval Attache to PlusNet, I must admit that, when I was serving God, Queen and Country, in the best navy in the world, (before it started to shrink into it`s present "coastal defence" role).... I did prefer to be referred to as a "matelot" ...... rather than a sailor.... !