cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your music

Community Veteran

Share your music

Since the community site's inception we've had various opportunities (largely thanks to PlusNet competitions) to share photographs we've taken, but not music we've created. Obviously there will be far fewer people who have anything to share, as most people don't get involved in composing or otherwise creating music, but, as a music student, I thought it'd be interesting to hear anything people do have: I've seen a couple of mentions of people being in bands on here, and I also know there're one or two classical musicians who use this forum. So if you have anything to share, please do.
In the meantime, if anyone's interested, I recently uploaded my latest composition to last.fm. I don't generally really advertise my compositions much as they tend to be quite 'academic' (seeing as they are mostly composed as part of my music degree), but this latest one seems to have received an unusually warm reception. It may not be to many people's tastes though - my composition tutor described it as 'post-minimalist neo-Romantic' - but if you think you may be interested, do have a listen, and if you have any thoughts I'd be interested to hear them; it's not often that the 'outside world' (that is, the world outside my university's music department) hears my music.
Oh, and a few brownie points to anyone who can guess (without looking at my media log!) what the two main instruments are in it. Wink
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Share your music

Not really to my taste, but quite nice nonetheless Wink
oh, Cymbals and Vibraphone Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks... and the two instruments are technically correct, but I didn't actually mean the cymbal when I was asking for the two main instruments, as I knew everyone would be able to recognise that. Tongue
Fixes: 47

I'm suggesting a wind instrument on False Promises but as there are quite a few I'm not being more specific.
I presume you compose and perform the pieces.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It is a wind instrument, yes. The recording is actually just generated by some music software... unfortunately, I can't play every instrument known to mankind, and even if I could, I wouldn't be able to play more than one at a time. Smiley Some professionals did play through all my class's pieces, but unfortunately my piece is rather fiendish to play (not least because it's in G# minor) so the unpractised results weren't excellent.
James
Grafter

I think you're selling yourself a bit short there Be4G Smiley
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Be3G
I wouldn't be able to play more than one at a time. Smiley

I was thinking in terms of multi-tracking but would you consider that unprofessional Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

James: Be4G?! I hope you haven't been fooled by CommsBot on IRC. But thanks (assuming you're referring to the music and not other comments about playing instruments etc.).
Strat: I'm not against it as such - I listen to music by Enya, which is completely constructed using multi-tracking - but I don't really think it's viable for this kind of music.
James
Grafter

I heard you had an upgrade Smiley
Community Veteran

In that case, please hit Matt for me when you next walk past or otherwise see him. Tongue
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey, there's no excuse for violence. You moved from version 3 to version 4 - that's an upgrade in my book and that is all I meant. The rest is _entirely_ supposition on your part, as I explained.
Community Veteran

[me=Be3G]still doesn't feel it was an 'upgrade', seeing as it was only because he'd been ousted from 'Be3G' by CommsBot and a weird IRC bug, but never mind...[/me]
Community Veteran

Certainly woodwind, and I'd say produced by midi, but the sound's too hard for a clarinet, and too low for an oboe.
Cor Anglais? (just a guess)
John
Community Veteran

Excellent - well done, it is indeed. You just can't beat the tone of a cor's lower registers. Smiley
clockley
Grafter

Be3g, you should really check out my housemates website, www.synchrotones.co.uk - he is currently working on a score for a remake of plan 9 from outer space.
And if you wanna try remixing, check out his remixes of my bands stuff at http://www.nilsatismusic.co.uk/music.htm