cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharapova Fails Drug Test

Fixes: 47

Sharapova Fails Drug Test

The world of professional tennis will be a little quieter if Maria Sharapova is banned from the game after failing a drug test.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35750285
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
17 REPLIES
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Sharapova Fails Drug Test

well she said its only recently been banned, and shes been using it for a longtime and always passed tests.. i personally dont think shes done anything wrong.
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 104

it's been banned from 1st January, she took it after that thus breaking the rules.. how can that not be doing anything wrong?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

@St3, I know where you are coming from but she still broke the rules. It was her responsibility to check and I'm surprised her medical team were not aware of the drug being banned.
Nike has suspended their sponsorship this morning and other companies are bound to follow. Top players earn more from sponsorship than from playing so this will be a big blow to her.
Fixes: 47

Would she be banned from coaching?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I don't think so but I wonder if any up-and-coming players would want to be associated with her Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It was a prescription drug called meldonium which she had been taking from the age of six as advised by her doctor. She apparently didn't realize it had just been placed on the banned list. Seems very harsh to me. It's prescribed for heart problems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meldonium
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the cynic in me would think that WADA purposely added this to the drug just to catch out those who had been legally taking it all these years, so they could boost their figures on positive tests.
the fact that Sharapovas prescription had a different name to that WADA called it on their list only confounds the cynical thoughts.
1) they clearly knew sharapova took this prescribed drug for 10 years.
2) she was then "randomly" selected for testing in January, just days after it was added to the banned list.
Community Veteran

it is not uncommon for players in the later stages of Grand Slams to be tested. Others were as well.
According to the manufacturer the normal course of treatment with this drug is 4 to 6 weeks not 10 years. Her team will have to explain this to the authorities.
The drug has been banned in the US for a long time. How was she able to obtain it and use it there?
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

It's an easy cop-out to say that it was medically prescribed. Personally I don't believe that at all. What's more likely is that it either improved her performance or at least she thought that it did (in fact the fact that it's now banned indicates the former). So it's quite right that she is banned and a black mark that she took it anyway.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

an important question to ask WADA is
1) for the previous 10 years, were you able to detect the presence of this substance during testing? if yes, why wasn't it deemed a prohibitive drug until now?
also
2) if accounts are to believed, do WADA really just send an email with a link advising of changes to prohibited substances? if that is correct then that is pretty poor.
Community Veteran

I heard part of a radio discussion about this earlier today, I know very little about sporting drug detection techniques.
However that little I heard seemed to suggest a rather cynical view of Sharapover's "performance". Firstly, she herself should not have announced it, this should have been done by the players governing body, who would have been informed before Sharapova herself. The route Sharapova has taken is highly unusual and very possibly against the governing bodies rules.
The opinion of the radio correspondent was that the announcement smacked a bit of a carefully contrived damage control quest for sympathy in advance of a ban.
I have no personal opinion on whether she is guilty or just unlucky until it is proven one way or the other.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Petlew, yes it should have been the WTA that made the announcement and not the player. I agree it seems like damage limitation on her behalf. In addition to Nike suspending their sponsorship Tag Heuer has cut ties with her and Porsche has postponed planned activities.
Last year her earnings were $30m in sponsorship and winnings.
St3
All Star

theres too much fuss in sports these days
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Fixes: 124

... or too much money Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still