Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall we have a moan day?

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Shall we have a moan day?

God almighty. Angel Got up today. Looked at the phone and went, 'what gives with Android'. 27 updates! Crazy3 I've lost count how many updates there have been over the last week or so or maybe that should the last month or two. Knuppel

I thought then, I'll give the laptop a go. Another 35 mins go by as Windows 10 wants to update. That seems to be a never ending story as well. I can feel pen and paper making a come back very soon.

Just glad I've got Windows 8.1 on the desktop. Very few updates and it just works! Bliss.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
11 REPLIES 11
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Shall we have a moan day?

Make the most of the few, Windows 8.1, no more updates after 2022. Roll_eyes

Always a good excuse to go and make coffee or at my age, nip off to the loo! 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn’t all those updates give you a warm feeling of security knowing that your OS is now harder to exploit. Mind you it could equally stress you knowing that there were that many vulnerabilities in the system in the first place! For me it’s the former.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Something to Moan about

He criticised her puddings;
He didn't like her cake;
She didn't make the biscuits
Like his mother used to make.
She didn't wash the dishes;
She didn't make the stew;
She wouldn't mend his socks
Like his mother used to do.  

Oh well, she wasn't perfect,
Though she tried to do her best,
Until at last she thought,
She'd have a little rest
One day it got beyond her,
His moaning all day through,
So she turned and smacked him round the head
Like his mother used to do.

Anon

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
idonno
Aspiring Champion

@Minivanman wrote:Windows 8.1, no more updates after 2022.

Very true but that is still a few years away - Jan 2023. By then, I'll either have popped me clogs or have bought / built a new box. Hopefully by then Win10 might have matured. Currently it reminds me of a big book, constantly being revised as it comes off the printing press.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@idonno   I`m with you ! ... but on Win 7 Pro.... Will keep it running until either I go, or it goes belly up!...

Worst comes to the worst... and someone does a nasty to me.... then I go to Linux Mint... but Win 10 is just as you say... needs revision all the time...

but then so does Linux, or any other O.S. I suppose...

Lets face it... W10 is only a pile of revision versions of Win 3.1. on floppy disc... ! ! ! ... Cheesy

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@shutter I don't mind revisions/updates/w.h.y. to OSes, but like you I regard W10 as a constant work-in-progress that gets worse, not better, with every 'update'.

I have to use it, as that is the OS on my mums' laptop, and as she can no longer use a PC after a stroke, it falls to me to do all her online business. I do as little as humanly possible, but the constant updates which you can't do when it is convenient FOR YOU, mean that I have to wait for Windows, and that is unacceptable.

Like you, I am running W7, and will continue to do so until it dies, replacing it with some variant of Linux - when forced.

John
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I've said it time and again, i can't be phased with updates and that now includes my android phone as well as windows.

Only time i'll update an app on android is if i'm absolutely forced to do so..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
idonno
Aspiring Champion

@7up  Actually while I might moan about Android, at least it carries on running while doing the updates. Can't recall the last time it told me to restart.

With W10 though it's invariably a complete shutdown/reboot most times and the size of the downloads? Last big update was around 5Gb and it failed 3 times on one laptop, twice on the other! Both boxes less than a year old. I don't have an issue with security patches but why include trash. I don't play games on the laptops, so why install (without asking first) stuff like Candy crush etc. I had a good clear out of stuff included by default the other day and got back over 500mb of disk space. I'd like to think they are history. I'd like to get shot of Edge too with its constant 'use me' instead of..... Buck2 But no doubt they'll all be included, again, in the next major rewrite.

I don't get any pleasure using W10 and dread opening the laptop, wondering how long it'll be before I can actually do something on it. Microsoft didn't give the computer away and yet you'd think they owned it. At least on the desktop, I have total control. Grin I dictate when an update is going to be downloaded or for that matter, installed.

BTW. W10 is suppose to be getting 2 major refits this year. Something to look forward too.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think Win10 has always had a spring and autumn 'creators update'.

Strat
Fixes: 506

I don't know about windows 10 but I'm getting a little concerned at the way Firefox is going. It doesn't seem to be behaving itself since the past 2 or 3 updates.

I'm not asking for any help or the Mods will move it to the Tech board Wink

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Haven`t had any problems with FF for a couple of years now... Smiley

Oooops.... Sorry.... shouldn`t post anything good on a "moaners" thread.....  Huh

Perhaps I should be moaning that there has been no problems to moan about ! ! ! ...Undecided