cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shale Gas

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Shale Gas

Look like Lancashire may become the Dallas of the North if the claims about the amount of Gas found is correct.
Not everyone is over the moon about it as there have been a number of problems with this kind of gas extraction in some of other countries and others have even banned it.
With the state of the economy and potentially easier planning laws it is almost certain to get the go ahead.
Perhaps the government should make some effort in using it to reduce the current price of gas for home consumers rather than put it on the open market and use the Tax obtained to be frittered away on less important things.
19 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Shale Gas

http://www.eaem.co.uk/news/shale-gas-find-lancashire-may-never-be-exploited
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was watching the TV report about that the other day. They said they need to work out why they keep getting earth tremors before they can continue to extract gas.
Wouldn't have anything to do with the explosions they set off underground would it  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

another relevant discussion here
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,98490.msg835715.html#msg835715
every time the doom-sayers bring up the topic of "peak oil" or "peak gas" the exploration companies "pull a rabbit out of the hat"  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: gleneagles

Perhaps the government should make some effort in using it to reduce the current price of gas for home consumers

rather than put it on the open market and use the Tax obtained to be frittered away on less important things.

Re the first part...... extreeeeeemly unlikely
Re the second part.... Definitely MORE than likely.  Cry
Community Veteran

There are other possibilities
Gas fire power stations. This is already done but makes more sense to base our electricity supply on our own gas rather than Russian Gas  Smiley
CNG for cars they do it in Pakistan so it isn't rocket science
Smiley
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You're more likely to do better with methane from the local landfills.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

or mines methane there is a lot of that about but this is a massive discovery 60 years of Uk usage  Cheesy
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Gas fired power stations should never have been built. They were just the easy option.
As I understand it gas was originally labelled a premium fuel. For direct use in homes only. Which is why we were told north sea gas would last us many many decades.
Many decades until the power stations used it virtually all up.
Community Veteran

Gas fired CCGT (combined cycle gas turbine) power stations have 55% efficiency compared with 33% for coal and because the gas is a hydrocarbon rather than coal which is almost pure carbon the exhaust is 50% water and much less CO2. They are the "Henry Ford" version of a power station everybody is running them worldwide  Roll eyes
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Many decades until the power stations used it virtually all up

but weve just discoverd another 60 years worth (including power stations)  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Sure 55% conversion to electricity is good as far as it goes but compared to burning directly in the home it's nothing but a pale ghostly waste of a precious resource.
Community Veteran

I can see where you'r coming from and that sort of thinking would put you well towards the common sense end of the community who are thinking about the future of our energy system. But you would be surprised at some of the flaky thinking about energy for the future.
IMHO it's all about the time-scale of robust technical development. There is micro CHP based on the Sterling Engine http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/boilers/boiler-service/boiler-range/ecogen.html or on fuel cells which will generate electricity and heat in your home so nothing is wasted. But we are a long way from everybody being able to have one.  Sad
But we need a robust replacement for the coal fired and nuclear power stations which are about to be de-commissioned otherwise the lights will be going out. CCGT gas fired power stations are easy to build and available now and now we have the gas  Cool Smiley Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Maybe I'm deluding myself but I'm wondering if we had spent a fraction of the nuclear/green money on producing a clean coal burning power station we would have something by now.
I can't remember but was all the stack scrubbers/ co2 removing technology considered too expensive at the time? Or just not really possible.
I suppose even if we did build clean coal power stations with most of our coal mines closed we would still end up importing the stuff. Probably from Russia.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

These guys http://www.microturbine.com/ can generate local power using landfill gas ...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.