cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shake n Vac

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Shake n Vac

Missus doing the hoovering today, spread some "dust" around on the carpet and then proceeded to hoover it up....
I remember the original "shake n vac" advert on telly...

and it led me to wondering if it was one of the biggest and best legal retail cons ever.....
If you think about it.... you do the hoovering.... you are likely to miss some areas, and others are likely to get a good going over..... so to "help" you clean "all" of your carpet, why not cover it in dust you CAN see, to ensure you get the dust/dirt you CAN`T see....
whereas, if you did the job in a controlled and efficient way (similar to a farmer ploughing a field,) then you would ensure that the carpet is cleaned all over, and the "freshness" would return..... (yes, there was a perfume smell in the shake n vac stuff, that the hoover secretly dispersed around the room, due the nature of the way a hoover works ! ! !)...
here is a new version, by those two Irish who look like they plugged themselves into the mains, instead of the hoover ! !   Cheesy

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Shake n Vac

You may be interested to know, that I was on call in the studio when that ad was made when I worked for Hoover Ltd as "tech advisor" in case the headlight bulb in the Hoover Senior blew.
The whole crew were thoroughly sick of that piece of "music" after the unknown, but many takes to get it right. The actress kept banging into furniture.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I never quite understood the theory for shake n vac. Shake it out over the carpet, it does some sort of magic and you hoover it back up.
So.. if its sitting on top of the carpet as a white powder, unlike a liquid which can penetrate most things, how on earth was shake n vac supposed to penetrate the carpet and do anything?
Tried it once, not impressed and never bothered again.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Cheap talcum powder did the job just as well Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes , I agree, Mav...

The theory is explained in the original posting....

. so to "help" you clean "all" of your carpet, why not cover it in dust you CAN see, to ensure you get the dust/dirt you CAN`T see....

which is where I led me to the conclusion " it was one of the biggest and best legal retail cons ever....."
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No, that would of been the clever fella who was selling instant water in a bottle. The con being the "just add water" on the instructions.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
thejudge
Grafter

Quote from: Petlew
The actress kept banging into furniture.

Can you confirm what I have read; namely that the actress - by her own admission, let it be said - was very hungover that day? She said that she had trouble not throwing up.
Community Veteran

The chopping board harbouring more bacteria than your toilet seat takes some beating Smiley
TV adverts annoy the hell out of me these days, the amount of ways they come up with that just means cheaper makes my teeth itch.
"10month for the price of 12"  Angry no it isn't it's just 12 month
"no vat increase" yes there is, by law they have to pay the full amount no company is exempt or can even offer to take the vat off without the HMRC wanting to pull their pants off.
"probably" and "can" are two words that have slipped in there as well just to throw people off the scent. Another annoyance is a graphic which is "representative" of what CAN happen.
Theoretically I should be able to get a sofa from DFS for about £20 no deposit interest free with nothing to pay too 2015  Grin