cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sgt Pepper's Lost Stars Club

Fixes: 123

Sgt Pepper's Lost Stars Club

Seems that there have been more stars/famous people dying this year than in previous years and the Mail Online had this tribute:

How many can you name. Answers are in the link.How many can you name. Answers are in the link.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Sgt Pepper's Lost Stars Club

Post war baby boomers dying off? 

It's certainly the case that the elderly are outstripping the young and whilst my own late 1940s generation might have lost their parents by now, it was only very recently that I lost a friend from my youth of about the same age as myself for the first time. Just lucky maybe but it did knock me back a bit.

Although paid off years ago, my life insurance taken out as a mortgage protection finishes next year - so I guess I'd better get a move on if I don't want to dip into my small savings for those funeral costs!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

Post war baby boomers dying off? 

That's more or less it.

Source

There are a few reasons, Nick Serpell says.

"People who started becoming famous in the 1960s are now entering their 70s and are starting to die," he says.

"There are also more famous people than there used to be," he says. "In my father or grandfather's generation, the only famous people really were from cinema - there was no television.

"Then, if anybody wasn't on TV, they weren't famous."

Not young enough to know everything
Minivanman
Hero

Add music hall stars to those famous people, many of whom were treading the boards long before they got anywhere near a camera. Eric and Ernie to name just two of many examples did not 'make it' until the mid to late late fifties.

And to think we thought nothing of them being in the same bed together Wink

Happy days and much missed. 

PS. Trying to work out who's the oldest in that picture - Leonard Cohen? No baby boomer that's for sure. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Minivanman wrote:

PS. Trying to work out who's the oldest in that picture - Leonard Cohen? No baby boomer that's for sure. 

Cliff Michelmore at 96.Cohen was 82.

Minivanman
Hero

Actually I think we are both wrong Smiley

Decided to click on that link in the post (should have done that first) and it gave Jimmy Young as 95.  

Blimey.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3930820/It-s-Sgt-Pepper-s-lost-stars-club-band-Inspired...

198kHz
Seasoned Pro

Er, but 96 is older than 95. Have you been sampling your Christmas tree?  Wink

Minivanman
Hero

Oops!

My mishtake.