Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sgt Alexander Blackman

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Sgt Alexander Blackman

its called defiling or desecrating the body, iirc its a hanging offence under the Geneva convention, although you can be given a courts martial and sentenced to a lesser sentence so long as its not a prevalent offence.
as to why you would shoot a corpse of your enemy, that's perhaps more difficult to understand, personally i would do it just to make sure they were dead although i wouldn't bother saying anything about it,
@itsme
his defence for the mater is a mixed bag of tricks, the transcript of the camera footage tells a story but not anything of the mindset of the individuals involved or how they are seeing things in their mind, the failure to report the incident actually has a stiffer penalty than doing it (under uk military law) yet the co conspirators were effectively let off with a slapped wrist however the real matter is the evidentiary chain was not complete, the images were "recovered" by techs from an unregistered sd card that one of the trio had in his hand luggage at an airport baggage check, that brings up more questions than answers about why it was allowed to be used as evidence for or of anything by either side, the case against sgt black rests on the fact a bullet fired from the pistol he had killed an insurgent and the death was put down as "good kill" for several months before the video came to light, for the case of murder to have been applied they needed to ascertain his intent which several shrinks were able to attest was not there yet they were barred from presenting evidence at the trial (lets it taint the case) so instead the media campaign was used so the whole country would be wanting them sent down and thus the public interest would be served by crucifying another non guilty person......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hanging offence under the Geneva Convention ?
In what country would the hanging take place ?
Highlighted
Pro

Any that were authorized to conduct a war trial and were granted full delegated powers could issue that sentence it would then be up to political policies as to if it was done locally or transported to the hage where they may then review the case hear any appeals and either change conduct or vacate the conviction(s)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Whether the target was dead or alive, I fail to see the difference between a soldier killing a wounded (possibly) combatant and the many videos available of gunships destroying vehicles then going back and strafing the injured laying in the road or trying to crawl away! As far s I know, no gunship crew have been prosecuted.
https://youtu.be/hvEvzr_T8RQ ; Particularly at the 6 minute mark. Definitely killing an injured person and people taking him away for treatment.
    However, An injured combatant is still a threat. I was always taught to 'never leave anyone alive behind you'.  Luckily I never had to put that to the test.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I do find the whole thing rather silly, its a war, troops are out to kill each other, so how can killing the enemy be classed as murder.
If this is bad what about all the british bombers who bombed civilian areas during world war 2.  It all seems barmy to me.
Highlighted
Grafter

Because wars are fought using rules and when you break these rules you are committing a crime.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@itsme
So does that mean that any enemy we manage to catch and can prove they killed innocent civilans should be subject to a war crime ?
In theory this might sound correct but in reality things are much more complex.
He should have either been tried by a civilian court or my a military court made up of officers who had been in similar war situations as him so they would have some insight into his mental state.
Anyway, if evidence has been withheld the verdict should be quashed and another trial set up.
Highlighted
Grafter

So who were the Judge and jury at his trial?
What evidence was withheld?
Highlighted
Community Veteran

@itsme didn't you see the story about his CO's resignation
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230016/How-hero-colonel-resigned-protest-betrayal-Sergeant-...
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Because wars are fought using rules and when you break these rules you are committing a crime.

I shouldnt join the army then, I would probably shoot everyone lieing on the ground to make sure they not going to shoot me in the back, its warfare.