cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sgt Alexander Blackman

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sgt Alexander Blackman

There are claims that crucial evidence was witheld from the Court Martial panel who found this soldier guilty of murder and is now in prison for 12 years.
Our weak PM felt it was necessary to support the verdict as it was important to demonstrate, "The fairness of British justice".
Makes me wonder why anyone would want to join the army when the government think more of the enemy than those fighting for the country.
I understand the case is to be raised in the house of commons on 16th of this month.
I hope common sense prevails.
24 REPLIES
Steve
Pro

Re: Sgt Alexander Blackman

Quote from: gleneagles
I hope common sense prevails.
You almost had me there Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I do have to wonder what the point of political correctness is sometimes..
That said, I thought the point of war was that if you capture people you keep them alive either as a bartering chip or to release them when an agreement to end the war is reached.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

The former commanding officer of Arbroath-based 45 Commando has quit the Royal Marines in protest at the ‘betrayal’ of one of his men by the chain of command.
Oliver Lee, who was awarded an OBE for his time in Afghanistan, has now sacrificed his own high-flying career after claiming military chiefs had suffered a “failure of moral courage”.

More here  http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/angus-the-mearns/former-arbroath-co-quits-royal-marines-accus...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

given the fact his court martial evidence was on the news before it was presented in court it was blatantly obvious he was getting stitched up from the get go, it was also blatantly obvious that instead of being tried under the Geneva convention for committing a war crime (he wasn't the dead guy had failed to surrender when he was killed) and it was all about the lee rigby killers and being seen to chastise your own for a perceived wrongdoing at the same time as giving the kid glove treatment to two vile bits of filth.
instead of the massive publicity drive to bring about political pressure to get him freed the people in Whitehall should of had the decency to have his conviction quashed on the grounds of mental instability (they all acknowledged he was already suffering from ptsd when it happened) and quietly let him out with a full pension and none of this would be necessary, clearly the conviction was kangaroo court politics from the start and should never have been allowed to finish but that's our great English legal system for you let a child rapist roam free but lock up a damaged soldier because you put him in a position he shouldn't have been in and wonder why he went off the rails......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I have a feeling it will get quashed.
itsme
Grafter

Sorry he's guilty because he said
Sgt Blackman was recorded telling his comrades: "Obviously this doesn't go anywhere, fellas. I just broke the Geneva convention

and how did it get to court?
Community Veteran

If he'd been flying a drone from a hanger in Lincolnshire rather than "boots on the ground" he'd be given legal protection by the UK Gov't. 
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

Interference with a corpse is covered under the Geneva convention and can carry a severe penalty.
At worst he should have been given an immediate discharge from service and ordered to undergo a period of confinement in a mental health unit specialized in treatment of ptsd, they even acknowledged he had ptsd and wasn't fit for frontline service when he was deployed to Afghanistan so any misconduct committed there are by that virtue by him should be defended with " not in his right mind" and not the media circus it became in a clear hung out to dry scenario
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I really don't see how that is relevant
He was convicted of murder so how can you murder a corpse
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
If he'd been flying a drone from a hanger in Lincolnshire rather than "boots on the ground" he'd be given legal protection by the UK Gov't. 
And if it had been US forces the matter would not have even seen the light of day.
itsme
Grafter

if it's on film there will be a prosecution.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
I really don't see how that is relevant
He was convicted of murder so how can you murder a corpse

he claimed he believed he was shooting a dead body at the time he did it, and depending on the type and nature of his mental condition its not entirely unbelievable that he could of done so/
@itsme
everything is recorded be it by helmet /gun cam, base cameras, surveillance drones or satellites it will have been recorded by at least 2 separate things, which brings up another problem, the judicial panel made a special decision to include that footage even though it didn't comply with evidence rules (lack of security to prevent tampering) and didn't comply with minimum quality standards on the grounds that it painted a picture that couldn't be ignored.
so he was treated to a politically motivated kangaroo court that didn't even afford him the same rights as the scum that had just murdered an off duty soldier on the streets of our capital, never mind giving him any latitude for the fact he was thousands of miles away staring death in the gills on a daily basis .......
itsme
Grafter

Your reply shows that you have not read the case.
Community Veteran

Not sure if that is accurate ? Why would you shoot someone who is dead ?
The main point is that information was withheld at his trial, that evidence could be the deciding factor as to whether it was murder or manslaughter.