Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severn Bridge is 50 years old

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Severn Bridge is 50 years old

Short ( 30 min ) documentary on BBC2 tonight at 19:00 about the Severn Bridge

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/2461492/121114887/the-severn-bridge-at-50-a-high-wire-act

I remember sitting on the river bank, not far from where the Bridge supports were being built, and watching the barges taking materials across...

I also remember being on the banks of the Humber, ( north side ) when that was being built, too !..

Doesn`t seem "that" long ago.....  !

10 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Severn Bridge is 50 years old

its on BBC I player Smiley  from 7/09/16

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I remember the original toll charge for the Severn Bridge, 2/6d I think it was with no queue just me and my little Austin A30. Now of course it's just one long line waiting to cross - followed by daylight robbery into the bargain. 

Cars are faster, traffic is slower, and that's called progress.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I preferred the ferry.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Really?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

My ancient kranky mother-in-law has the habit of saying "Are you sure?" if I say something she doesn't understand. I don't repeat what I've said. However I'll add I also prefer the Woolwich Ferry to the alternative London bridges and tunnels. The ferries give you time to think.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Very interesting documentary points I remember, it was pioneering with its aerodynamic lightweight steel roadbed which has been copied worldwide but we copied American technology for the design of the main cables and the wires are rusting and will cause the bridge to fail eventually Roll eyes

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

Well there is a big difference from crossing a relatively narrow river to crossing a rather wide estuary and although I have never used either from what I have read the Aust Ferry was a was rather hairy affair. I was just surprised you had a preference for it that's all.

This is where the old lady ended up anyway. Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Well like the old London Bridge, maybe they could buy if from us.

"Sold to the man at the back!"

Community Veteran

We used to drive to visit my brother stationed in RAF St Athan. If our oldest brother was driving we'd go via the Aust Ferry across the Severn. If my Dad was driving we'd go the long way around via Gloucester which seemed to add a couple of hours to the trip. The ferry was much more exciting.

Minivanman
Hero

I can well imagine it was. Stuck in the back for the long drive around could never have been a pleasant experience especially if your parents were smoking or even worse, Mum was map reading! 

Now of course it's all sat navs and smartphones..... "I spy with my little eye" Roll eyes