Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setback for Facebook

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Setback for Facebook

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37247077

Falcon 9 rocket Explodes on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral and blows up Facebook's $200m internet satellite 

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Setback for Facebook

I wouldn't call it a setback, more of a miniscule wobble to their share value.

They've got billions stashed in the bank anyway so they've probably got another 2-3 satellites waiting to be launched already built. Zuckerburg has probably got another few sitting in his enormous back garden as decorations.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

I wouldn't call it a setback, more of a miniscule wobble to their share value.

Still a bit of a hassle having to make another one though ay?

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

Like I said they've probably already got others waiting to be sent up anyway. If you're trying to smother the planet if RF radiation you don't use just one satellite do you.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The camera must have been a fair distance away judging by how long it took for the sound to catch up with the picture.

DaveyH
Pro

Not sure how much of a setback it's is to FB personally, other than time lost. It wasn't their satellite, it belonged Spacecom, and FB in partnership with Eutelsat agreed to lease some of its spot beam capacity.

More of a setback for the manufacturer, Elon Musk and their insurance companies I'd say, since Satellites usually remain the responsibility of the manufacturer and launch company until they're safely launched, have completed several weeks of in orbit shakedown testing and are successfully delivered to their intended orbital slot.

So not entirely sure why FB is getting all the attention.

Added to that given the way FB are marketing internet.org and 'free basics' and the reality of what they're delivering I wouldn't look at it as a setback at all...