cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious Waste of Money

Community Veteran

Serious Waste of Money

Sir Philip Green has come up with his first report on waste in government departments.  He's identified a staggering 20 Billion pounds.
Government Waste
6 REPLIES
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Serious Waste of Money

Has anyone read Your Disobedient Servant by Leslie Chapman 1979? (Available on Amazon from 1p).
He set up teams which went into government departments and discovered waste such as heating unused warehouses to occupied office levels and cutting grass verges to bowling green standards. If only his work had been continued some of the issues highlighted could have been avoided.
How does Green's push to centralised purchasing fit in with the Coalition's push to devolving decisions and services to local providers? Yes central purchasing can result in cost savings for the same items but what happens when the central negotiator chooses the wrong product that does not meet local needs? A swing in the opposite direction to every little item having to be authorised and provided from a central point needs to be avoided.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

and if you want to read it you can get it here http://download.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/efficiency/sirphilipgreenreview.pdf
Fixes: 47

I like this bit
There are 140,000 procurement cards (payment cards) in circulation, with 71,000 in central Government provided by four main suppliers.
Consolidated data by spend category is not available for all card-holders.
This means that there are 71,000 central Government buyers who in the main have a monthly spending limit of up to £1,000, which is not monitored.
In general, central Government allows expenditure up to £1,000 without monitoring or authorisation

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

It's unbelievable isn't it?  You can imagine the savings when they start looking deeper.
Pigs, feet, trough come to mind.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the next part of the saying is
Why, am I standing on your face Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Has anyone read Your Disobedient Servant by Leslie Chapman 1979? (Available on Amazon from 1p).

Not read it but sounds my type of book.  I search out a copy.