cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sergeantgate

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sergeantgate

Every so often a something really big happens and as a result a website crashes.
Well, following today's news, the BBC's Have Your Say site has crashed.
Shows what really matters to the people of this country!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
18 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Sergeantgate

That's very sad Sad and he was showing definite signs of such a promising future.
Such a great loss to the whole world of dancing and choreography.
Will we ever see the like again.

Shocked Grin
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
James
Grafter

I told Carol and she was very sad Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My missus and I, are both crying our eyes out....  Cry  ................ she is crying because she is sad about the situation .  Cry Cry :   .... I am crying tears of Joy and Laughter at the thought of so many people making such a fuss about it !!! Grin Grin
jmd
Grafter

Well, he was entertaining!  Especially his version of the Pasa Doble!  Hope he repeats that as his "Farewell Dance"! Grin
Community Veteran

I think it funny that the voting public showed what they think of these reality shows pompous judges.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Uhmm! SHWMBO before other events overtook her once used to do a bit of prancing, therefore SCD is standard viewing for Saturday and Sunday evening, although I put my foot down for the weekday show (unless there's nothing else on) as well. I must admit that although I claim not to have a lot of time for the show, I find myself enjoying it, I do think that Brucie should be replaced forthwith though. I fall into the entertainment camp rather than the dance competition view. So therefore I believe John Sergeant should not have pulled out...for his entertainment value, and the unedifying spectacle of the judges baying for his blood.
Unfortunately, I think the BBC may well have shot themselves in the foot by allowing it to happen. I suspect the viewing figures will tumble badly, not to mention the revenue made through the voting.
If it was a dance competition there would be no phone votes (al la Come Dancing) only professional judges.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Can you imagine the job they are going to have to compensate people who voted for him throughout the series.  It would be much simpler to make a donation to charity.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why should they compensate?
Each week people vote to keep a person on the show for the following week. Each week the votes start from zero again.
John has said he will appear on the show this coming weekend.
So where's the problem?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

As an ever so slightly off topic; I'm rather intrigued to know why the BBC needs to raise revenue with phone voting anyway, and it does raise a lot of money, doesn't it get enough of our money with their share of the licence fee? I think it should be priced at standard local call rates, or even a free phone number.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Jelv, I assume they are concerned about people who spent money on a vote which will now be wasted.  It was the BBC's idea to compensate in some way.
I have to agree with Petlew, it's a cheek that they use a premium number to canvas votes. 
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
I think it should be priced at standard local call rates, or even a free phone number.

Yes indeed - the BBC consumer shows have delighted exposing companies taking advantgae of their customers, yet the BBC for a long time used 0870 numbers for their call in numbers - even traffic reporting etc.
But maybe they have realised how vunerable they are to bad public relations as they have started to replace some with 03xxx numbers.

techguy
Grafter

Perhaps he realises that he's more intelligent than that, seen the light in other words.
Community Veteran

Well I'm very suspicious; we're in the grip of the worst financial crisis since 1929, half of the world is at war with someone, pirates are in action in the busiest commerce routes in the world, and the British news and media can find nothing else to talk about but John Sergeant. Has this government slyly released something unpalatable today, they're just devious enough to have organised this.

jmd
Grafter

Yes, I was fascinated to see that it was the third item on the news at 6.  Surely there were more important things to report?