cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sepsis - could be fatal, if not recognised

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sepsis - could be fatal, if not recognised

Caught a news item this morning... which stated that the government were starting a campaign to educate people about the dangers of SEPSIS.  so that early recognition of it can help save life.

Problem was.... the news station.... BBC 8 a.m. news .... did not give any more details... so how are people being educated by the government, if the news stations do not give out the symptoms and what to look for? 

I went to the ITV news site, and they too, have the story.... with a linky to this page....

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-09-01/what-is-sepsis-and-what-are-the-symptoms/

Which I have bookmarked, in my "health" folder....  for future reference, if needed....

Perhaps you may like to do the same...as it can be fatal very quickly, once it starts... ..................

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Sepsis - could be fatal, if not recognised

Indeed! My mate died from sepsis from an insect bite while he was on holiday in Cyprus. The medics realized what it was but it was too late, he hadn't. Took about three days for him to go.

PowerLee
Rising Star

Lost a friend to Sepsis due to medical negligence a few years ago.

Coroner at inquest really ripped in to hospital trust, management & ward staff concerned for there multiple failings.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

There have been a number of fatal cases of sepsis reported in the media over the last year or so.  What I can't understand is that hospital staff don't routinely take a few seconds to consider this with every patient.  They have got a lot better at spotting meningitis so maybe it's now time we gave sepsis the same level of publicity and attention.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

And Rick Parfitt of Status Quo has just died from it. RIP.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

PowerLee wrote:
...Coroner at inquest really ripped in to hospital trust, management & ward staff ....

Sepsis is tricky to spot in its early stages, but can tip over into danger very quickly. About 2% of hospitalizations progress to sepsis.

Here's how to spot it with kids, however many other infections such as chest infections can present similarly. If every child with some of these symptoms were referred by primary care staff to A&E for the pre-cautionary blood tests the department might just become rather clogged. The usual out of hospital blood and culture tests would take far to long.

There never seems to be any comments by the Coroner when these same medical staff save lives by their skills.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

The coroner only deals with the where, when, and how someone died, which limits their opportunity to give praise to medical staff who've made a spot-on diagnosis at the end of an entire weekend on duty.  It's a bit like this and other forums; customers usually only post here when they are having problems, not to say they've had a problem-free month, year, or whatever.

By the way, the BBC seem to have removed the reference to sepsis/septicaemia contained in their original report of Rick Parfitt's death.