cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sentencing

N/A

Sentencing

Read in the news today that the two fraudsters have got 6 years imprisonment each.
They defrauded the companies for a fair amount but not millions, and voluntarily returned to the country.
I thought that the sentence was rather heavy when you think that burglary (dwelling), which has always been a custodial sentence is now being downgraded to community sentence if the perpetrator can prove that he was compelled to do it e.g. if he/she had a drug habit to feed. There are rapists and violent offenders who have had lesser sentences than this one.
In my area a solicitor who stabbed his wife to death in front of their children pleaded guilty to manslaughter and received a lower tariff than this one.
Is the judicial system in this country going mad or what? Seems that money and property always has greater weight than life.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Sentencing

Tend to disagree, the other sentences were too light rather than this one being too heavy.
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Sentencing

I thought this was going to be about grammar.
Anyway, I wouldn't know if the sentence was appropriate. I wasn't sitting through hours of court proceedings, nor have I read the background reports which would have been compiled for the sentencing. I expect the judge did that so s/he will be in a better position than anyone reading a newspaper summary to decide what the sentence should be.