Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling your soul to the devil.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Selling your soul to the devil.

Seems to me that whatever application you use or any new ones you want to download from Google to Twitter, from Instagram to Whatsapp, you need to sell your soul to the devil by granting them access to just about everything such as email contacts, address books and any friends you may have on social media sites such as Facebook - or am I missing something.

At my age I'm beyond caring what they might want to know about me or what sites I might visit, but friends family and other stuff, I'm really not so sure.

Any thoughts guys?

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

Re: Selling your soul to the devil.

Most I have little interest in, so it's unlikely to affect me, but my sprogs communicate via some Apple (?) app or other. They must feel safe!

I'd say that, if I felt a lack of trust in whatever it was, I'd keep away, but not be paranoid. Otherwise, I'd be happy to go ahead.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Lack of trust and paranoia? 

Now where have I heard those two used in the same sentence before. Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman Dunno!Grin I was meaning that some folk are so security conscious as to be paranoid, Even in the best run of anything mishaps occur.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

But we are not talking about mishaps @Luzern 

We should all be concerned (although granted some less than others) at how data is farmed as a condition of engaging with the likes of Amazon, eBay, Google and all the rest. We could of course just go off grid in a sort of 'freedom to starve' manner, but where does that leave us in the world we now inhabit.

Perhaps we should all shut the lid on our laptops and trust we are not being observed, registered and recorded on a face recognition camera on our high street or in our local supermarket - but then how would we know, and by not knowing how could we do anything about it.

Paranoid most certainly not. Suspicious and distrustful of unregulated and unaccountable technology?

That's a yes from me.Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

The majority of users never stop to think of the consequences of allowing an App access to their information, they simply don’t understand the potential ramifications of it and just comply to what is being asked of them.

If I were to approach you in the street and say I’ll show you a funny cat video if you let me see all of the messages you’ve posted or are going to post, the pictures you’ve taken or have been sent, and any of the same in the future; give me contact details of all your friends, so I can ask them the same, your GPS location, and the ability to control your camera and microphone. You’d probably think (know) I was a blethering idiot, and ask me to leave you alone in a not so polite manner.

But make the same request on the latest App and the majority will just click OK, simply because they want what the App offered. It all seems innocuous now but I’m pretty sure it will come back to haunt them in the not to distant future.

And no I don't own a tin hat before anyone asks, I'm just not stupid.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman To a degree, I do share your concerns. Permission for this, permission for that. I recently downloaded the local bus company app. It wanted access to my photos, media etc. What on earth for? it's a bus route app. Permissions don't seem to be tightly regulated. I could understand it if it just said it needed space on the SD card. I will give the company its due as they did respond when I raised the question. I have been known to go into apps and remove said permissions to bare minimum after an install. Some refuse to run but a fair number run anyway. In some ways it' s a bit like giving a browser/ website unrestricted access to the drive on a computer. Would you allow that? Hardly.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@idonno 

Well these guys certainly have us by the short and curlies that's for sure. 

As said, less of a worry for me at my age but the generations to come are just going to accept it as normal. How easily we give up what we don't realise we once had.

Highlighted
Fixes: 415

I've installed a couple of apps recently on my PC.

Early in the install process I was presented with a permissions screen where I could simply click OK or click Options.

Opening the Options screen listed the various ways my data would be shared and to who if I enabled it.

All the Options were disabled by default which I believe is a requirement that not all apps abide by.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

So you give them access......does this mean they can actually keep a record of the information ? If so is there any practical way of blocking or misleading sites requiring access ie: email programs that only last for 24 hours but enough to get you on a site, blocking your location ?

Would a vpn help in any way ?

I guess these questions are getting technical but are important for many users.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am no expert @gleneagles, and I can’t say whether they keep it or not, but I’d suspect the answer would be yes. But it’s not just that they’ll mine the data looking for trends, keywords, interests, etc and either sell that information to third parties or use it to target you (and possibly your contacts) with ‘offers’ etc.

It does go and will remain so until the General Public wakes up and smells the metaphoric coffee brewing right under their noses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48236600

There's a touch of irony in the story, pot, kettle, black but proves my point.

Highlighted
Fixes: 882

I recently closed and deleted my facebook account - I requested a copy of the data and the zip file was over 10GB and had a massive amount of info.
Also closed instagram. I've kept whatsapp for one or two contacts but at least the conversations are now encrypted and can't be read.
Should they ever merge the applications as is been talked about I will close whatsapp too.
Use blockers on all my browsers to stop facebook etc. tracking.
Google have recently implemented a way to remove data older than 3 months which is quite useful too.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

@dvorak wrote:
Google have recently implemented a way to remove data older than 3 months which is quite useful too.

I would assume that Google have processed your data and keep selected bits - they no longer need all your raw data.

I'm in the process of transferring my Gmail account to a secure, encrypted account (protonmail.com).

I only get 500MB instead of 17GB (its a free account) - more would require payment. Smiley

However, too many sites make it virtually impossible to change your email address.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ditto, done that already.

Cheap and cheerful but, it does the job. Thumbs_Up

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned above by @idonno you have to, no I mean really have to, ask yourself, why does this application want, as it certainly doesn’t need, access to my private information?

I'd suggest that the only legitimate request an application like that could make is to have your GPS, and even then that would only be justifiable if the App could guide you to a location where you might catch the service you were interested in or to give you the GPS location of your bus so you would know if it were running late or early, anything else I think is unwarranted.