Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selfish outsiders

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Selfish outsiders

Well for me, it's free transport when I cannot be bothered to use the car.

You sound like royalty Wink

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Luzern
All Star
Fixes: 3

MKSlinky wrote:

@Minivanman

On a serious note, always choose the inside seat nearest to the gangway if it's ever available, if not ask the other person to sit by the window. I could tell you some real horror stories about train fatalities. Having worked on many railway carriages that have been involved in side swipes it's the people nearest the window that bite the dirt fist! Another big no no is leaning against the sliding doors, it's not unheard of for the guard to press the wrong button when opening the doors in the platform, i.e. the doors on the wrong side open!

Of course technically speaking if a person is using a seat to put a bag on they should pay for an additional ticket for the duration of that journey. Your ticket only entitles you to one seat. The last job I did was working as a Revenue Protection Inspector on the railway, charging someone for putting a bag on the seat is not an uncommon practice, not that I was ever that mean myself. Angel

Might be a good revenue raiser to charge the obese. Two one time MPs come to mind: Bessie Braddock and Cyril Smith!Evil

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I only use the park and ride into Scarborough which I think is a sensible solution to congestion!

I have friends who use the village bus out of need but two busses a day make it impractical if you lead a busy life!
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Luzern
All Star

Of the demise of bus services I think it's not only the funding reductions, but other burdens and costs piled on operators. Often it's the smaller ones that run the supported routes, because they have lower overheads. That so, they do not have the capital to easily comply with new regulations or buy buses that are compliant with, for example, DDA rules. Numerous small fry go insolvent, or just give up.Here is a typical tale.

In the end, though, the "Theys", who make decisions from on high, whether on transport, health, whatever, are extensions of the "Us". Therefore, do we have no responsibility? 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Fixes: 173

AlaricAdair wrote:

What's a bus? 

Copper tracks on a motherboard.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit)

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Luzern

'Might be a good revenue raiser to charge the obese'

Or they could make the seat wider and give a bit more legroom - it's not as if it's a weight dependant plane.

Coming back to Wales from that trip to York, not only were we squashed and squeezed into those reserved seats, but there was nowhere to put our small amount of luggage into what little space we had either. Shoved it under the seat in the end to much huffing and puffing from the passengers sat behind. Given the price of rail travel it really is not good enough. Buses are not much better either, but then we don't have to pay for those Wink 

Could have been worse I suppose.

0dea26e90109cefad0071320363ac703.jpg

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern Wrote:

Might be a good revenue raiser to charge the obese. Two one time MPs come to mind: Bessie Braddock and Cyril Smith!

I think some airlines do that and charge for a double seat. I don't know if the railways do it though. I haven't worked for them since 2000.

@Minivanman Wrote:

Or they could make the seat wider and give a bit more legroom - it's not as if it's a weight dependant plane.

Making the seat wider would ultimately mean removing one entire row in each carriage. You'd still need the gangway so they'd be losing money. Likewise with giving more leg room..., space has to be found from somewhere and to do that you have to remove seats or the toilet! Shocked

Personally I like the cattle wagon idea, i.e. no seats!   Well lest face it, travelling during peak times it's highly likely you won't get one anyway so why bother? You can squeeze lots more in without them. Cheesy

Luzern
All Star

Minivanman wrote:

@Luzern

'Might be a good revenue raiser to charge the obese'

Could have been worse I suppose.

0dea26e90109cefad0071320363ac703.jpg

@MKSlinky IRPO required!  (For the rest Indian Revenue Protection Officer).Funny

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Luzern

No.., it's 'Revenue Protection Inspector' aka 'RPI'  Thumbs Up

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

We used to be called 'Travelling Ticket Inspectors' aka 'TTI's' but people referred to us as tity's Shocked

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

One wonders whether the Indonesian Train Authorities have got the right idea to deal with congested roofs?

Seeing those people standing/sitting just inches away form the overhead power lines makes my blood run cold, the safe distance for UK overheads is 9 feet.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@MKSlinky

".....space has to be found from somewhere"

Indeed, so how about more carriages?

I first travelled by train in the late 50s and in and around London and cannot for the life of me remember them being so crowded, so what going on - more people, less carriages, or both? The only thing that has definitely increased are the fares and how daft are they when that return trip from York cost me twice as much as the one going up!  Crazy2

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

More carriages might be one solution but it's a whole lot more complicated than that. Some platforms simply aren't long enough to accommodate a longer train. Sure platforms can be lengthened but at what cost? Some places lengthening the platform wouldn't be possible, it's a catch 22 situation.

Of course the other problem with more carriages is cost. Railway carriages don't come cheap you know. You might see empty carriages sitting in depots or sidings but they're there for a reason. Either being cleaned, fixed or awaiting the peak rush hour. All train operators have to plan ahead for the rush hour and make sure trains are in the right location at a specific time of day.

I don't think it's a lack of carriages, numbers have steadily increased over the years but keeping pace with the ever growing number of commuters is nigh on impossible. You can only safely fit so many trains on a stretch of track. Trains have to run at a safe distance apart from one another, it's not like on the underground where they travel relatively slowly. 

The problem will never be solved that's for sure. Ticket prices? Well that's always been an issue and I quite agree, pricing is a mess. Of course having worked in the Revenue Department you can blame a lot of that on fare dodgers, they cost the railway millions. We introduced Penalty Fares on my stretch of line during the mid nineties but even that couldn't solve the problem. Often people travel without money so all you can do is issue a notice to pay within 28 days. Of course in reality that doesn't always work out and then you have to pay someone to chase the debt. That was my job after I returned to work from my paralysis. I had to take a desk job back then and as I already worked in that department it made sense. Mostly I was able to secure a County Court Judgement against an individual but it was rare anything more happened due to cost.

Being caught for ticket fraud was usually more rewarding and many of those cases went to court and were fined accordingly.

The railway isn't faultless either, stations are designed to be easily accessible which is often why people make it onto a train without a ticket which by the way is technically illegal under railway bye laws. Your ticket is also a certificate of insurance should anything happen to you. No ticket and your trespassing! 

I'm glad I'm not involved in all that nowadays, it was a thankless task that's for sure.

Community Veteran

No, carriages aren't the solution, spreading businesses out a bit more rather than constipating them in one giant lump would be better so that everyone is not getting on to get to one location on mass, plenty space up here int' north for businesses to set up and create jobs for the deprived areas... Crazy

Just a shame most of the rails up here got beeching'd & thatcher'd to make sure we had nothing to get around with...

Community Veteran

The little stations used to be friendly places with hanging baskets and flower pots where you could chat to any of the half dozen or so wandering staff, relax in the waiting room, have a cuppa in the cafe, or use the loo.

Now the little stations left are just a bleak empty expanses of concrete.