Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selfish outsiders

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Selfish outsiders

We've all seen them on a crowded train or bus, those  that sit on the outside seat with their bag or whatever plonked on the inside one. Why do folks do that and moreover, why are we so reluctant to challenge them?

Travelling back to Wales from York via Birmingham yesterday so easy to imagine just how crowded the train was getting as we headed south towards Cardiff and that six nations rugby match. Luckily this old codger and his missus had pre-booked their seats! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
80 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Selfish outsiders

Your subject title kind of answers the question really @Minivanman. A lot of people are paranoid about the great unwashed sitting next to them on any form of public transport. These are more than likely the same people that are described as NIMBYs and amount to nothing more than a selfish, self-centred individual, who would do nothing to help a fellow citizen unless there was some form of tangible benefit to themselves.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

They do it because either as you say, they are selfish OR they just don't think.

Personally, if there are no other seats I will challenge them and get my seat, even if they give me an evil look whilst removing the offending item.

Strangely enough, I was on a bus with a large number of school children yesterday, and one lad was actually sat on the window seat, with a large rucksack-type bag on the aisle seat - the only spare one so far as I could see. A woman got on the bus, headed for the seat and literally threw the bag at its owner. MAYBE she should have asked him to move it, but I think she was right in what she did - the lad could see the bus was full and in my opinion, should have moved it without having to be asked.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

politely ask.... "Has that "item" on that seat, got a ticket "  ? 

jab1
Seasoned Pro

@shutter - I like that idea, wonder what the response would be? Wink

John
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

I used ti travel from London to my then home in the special narrow Hastings diesels. One evening the only available place was occupied by a lady's shopping. I tried the polite approach; no reaction. I commenced direct action, slowly lowering myself. Loud harrumph and miracle emptying of contents!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Amazingly, towards the end of that journey at the bus station for the final leg home and guess what, a lady was sat on one of the benches with her shopping taking up all the other spaces on it!  

There was another one unoccupied so there was no issue, but it just goes to show eh? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Even worse are younger people who get on the bus and sit on the front seats with notices that clearly state these seats are reserved for the elderly/mothers with prams.

Are people to lazy to walk further down the bus or are they unable to read ?

Then we get those who shout down their mobiles letting the whole bus know their mundane details.

Fortunately I do not often use the bus and even less the train.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

if the sign still says "mothers with prams" then they are committing a discrimination offence i would have thought?
surely it should say "parents with prams".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Try being on a bus just after school kicking-out time, like I was on Thursday, thank goodness I took my earphones with me, Status Quo saved my sanity that day... Crazy3

I tend to be a bag on the seat next to me person, but I do move it onto my lap if the bus gets filled up, rarely do people actually sit down next to me though... Grin

Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:
if the sign still says "mothers with prams" then they are committing a discrimination offence i would have thought?

True but equally other people such as grandparents, child minders & others are excluded if you just say parents.

Responsible adult with prams ?Huh

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Try being on a bus just after school kicking-out time, like I was on Thursday, thank goodness I took my earphones with me, Status Quo saved my sanity that day... Crazy3

I tend to be a bag on the seat next to me person, but I do move it onto my lap if the bus gets filled up, rarely do people actually sit down next to me though... Grin

Don't bother having a bath or change your clothes for a year, not only will nobody sit next to you, they will not sit anywhere near you !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

gleneagles wrote:

chenks76 wrote:

True but equally other people such as grandparents, child minders & others are excluded if you just say parents.

so irresponsible adults with prams can't sit there then?
does the pram have to have anything in it? can someone with an empty pram use the seat? (responsible or not).

jab1
Seasoned Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

@twocvbloke - I know exactly what you mean, which is why unless I have to I never catch a bus between 3P.M and 4.15PM on a school day'. The other extremely annoying habit (displayed by school children and some older students) is the one of standing in the entrance bay of a bus, so (1) other passengers have to squeeze past them to get to the seats lower down the bus and (2) the driver cannot see there is space further down, so leaves potential passengers stood at the stop.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't think I want to be "that guy" on the bus that smells like they were sleeping in the bins, there's enough of them round here as it is... Shocked

gleneagles wrote:

How about "Results of a regretful drunken night in prams"? Grin