Did you mean: 

Selfie Sticks

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Selfie Sticks

Selfie Sticks
All the rage at the moment.
Before the term came into recent use, I bought a couple of ArmPod XL extending MiniPods in 2008, some 7 years ago !
Basic design, just an extending monopod with adjustable camera mount at the end.
Over the years, they have had many uses, mostly Foreign Holidays, external use at various locations.
Not used to excess, perhaps a couple of times a day, if that .....
Though of course, the hand held camera at arms length works quite well too !!
We still occasionally ask honest looking individuals to take our photo too, we choose people with expensive looking cameras...
Always with flash on, so we know they have actually taken a photo !! And it gives a better exposed photo, on faces, not too close, fill in flash.
(Never lost a camera yet)

Also mini tripods on a wall, for example
And of course, the ubiquitous tripod, essential for night shots, and other important photo's.

Now, with a much better name, the Wireless Selfie Stick has arrived.
Extendable Selfie Handheld Stick Pole Monopod with Built-in Wireless Bluetooth Remote Camera Shooting Shutter and Adjustable Phone Holder compatible for iPhone, Samsung and other IOS and Android Smartphones
Many locations are now banning their use indoors, such as Art Galleries, due to the possibility of exhibits being damaged, or other visitors being struck by a Selfie Stick.
A list of locations around the world that have banned the use of selfie sticks
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/a-running-list-of-places-that-have-banned-selfie-113345971759.html

I can also see a use at events with many public around, or even just to get a slightly higher perspective.
Normally used with a camera self timer, or in movie mode, and select best image as a still.
The latest Selfie Stick does seem to be an improvement, with Bluetooth shutter operation, using a Smartphone, and with a longer reach.

Have you used a Selfie Stick, any other uses ?

8 REPLIES
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Selfie Sticks

Quote from: PlusComUK

Have you used a Selfie Stick,?

You mean the narcissists stick, and no!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Selfie stickHuh Whatever happened to Telescopic Monopod? Oh yeah, narcissists, already been mentioned... Shocked
Nope, don't have one, I prefer not to appear on camera (happy to be heard on gaming videos on youtube though, see here if you want - https://www.youtube.com/user/SkavaenGames - Mostly GTA Online, though not always in every session), cos I'm one of those who prefers to not have my soul stolen by a camera, well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it... Grin
I have been looking at the Telescopic Monopods with the Bluetooth shutter buttons recently though, but, to be honest, I don't need one, just a mini-tripod and a phone-clamp to hold my S3 steady and keep my hands off the microphones while shooting my random clips of random things I randomly record at random... Grin
Infinity
Pro

Selfie Sticks
Not used to excess, perhaps a couple of times a day, if that .....
Though of course, the hand held camera at arms length works quite well too !!
Also mini tripods on a wall, for example
And of course, the ubiquitous tripod, essential for night shots, and other important photo's.

When shooting Video, such a Disney Parades, I find a sturdy Monopod is very useful.
Not only giving a stable image, but also can be used as a vertical tracking device, when hand held at minimum length, to give extra gentle movement.
The Monopod is very versatile, though a bit heavy for self portraits of a group, even with a fantastic background.
And we have visited some amazingly photogenic places.

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: DaveyH

Have you used a Selfie Stick,?

You mean the narcissists stick, and no!

That's a cynical and simplistic point of view... though correct in some instances.
Whilst I agree that continuing to record, and post many Selfies on Social Media, whether by using a "Selfie Stick" or not, potentially shows a Narcissistic personality disorder, using one to record Family & Friend events, and kept strictly within Family & Friends does not.
It's just a means of producing a photo showing the location, at least that's why we occasionally use one.
Our private photo's are never published online.

You've never had a photo taken whilst on Holiday, showing you in relation to your surroundings ?
Fixes: 125

You've never had a photo taken whilst on Holiday, showing you in relation to your surroundings ?

When away with SWMBO we end up taking various shots of the same scenery as she likes to have us or at least her in each to show she was there and I prefer just to have the scenery on it's own.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Nope never. I don't do photos.
And i have no interest in seeing other people stood in front of landmarks or scenery or whatever. People should keep 'snaps' to themselves afaiac...
Fixes: 47

You should pair up with my daughter.
She attempts to take multiple photos of every single second of her life Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Stick one of these on your "selfish" stick