cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Assessment Tax Return

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Self Assessment Tax Return

I am "officially" retired, (nearly 2 years past 65),, ( unofficially since I was 60)... and am drawing state pension,  why does the taxman keep sending me a "self assessment tax return", each year?  surely they have access to DWP , and know the status of, people over 65 ...
I shall now ask DWP to calculate my "earnings" for the necessary period, and copy it into the tax form..... AGAIN.  Roll eyes
12 REPLIES
geoffp0
Grafter

Re: Self Assessment Tax Return

I agree with you shutter, I retired 4 years ago at the age of 66 I have a state pension also a small Merchant Navy pension, each year I get a self assessment form, where I just put down the same details year after year, in fact I recieved my form this morning.
Last year the Revenue made a F*** Up and set the wrong tax code it seems that I owe them an extra £210 for last year, so they are collecting it this year, noticed that my Navy pension is down by £29 this month, to me 12 times £29 ponds comes to more than £210 HuhHuh?Huh
BORN FREE TAXED TILL DEATH
pierre_pierre
Grafter

some people have investments etc so need the form, they have given up on me the last statement I just got even had the name and address of the people who pay my pension on it
nadger
Rising Star

As I carried on working until I was 70 we kept getting 3 forms until I was over 71. One for SWMBO, one for me and one for the business.
Eventually managed to convince them to stop - failure to complete them on time would have incurred 3 penalties  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I still do my Self Assessment Tax Return online via the Government Gateway,
Would like a way to stop but cannot actually see a way of getting out of it.
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys

I suspected that a few years back and never started; in retrospect a very wise move.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: geoffp0
Last year the Revenue made a F*** Up and set the wrong tax code it seems that I owe them an extra £210 for last year, so they are collecting it this year, noticed that my Navy pension is down by £29 this month, to me 12 times £29 ponds comes to more than £210 HuhHuh?

Have you worked out why you are £29 down this month? The answer  is probably the correct code for this year and what you owe from last year. A double whammy.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There are two types of form (at least).
One has about 4 pages, the other is about 20 (although you can add extra pages if you have any foreign income).  Angry

geoffp0
Grafter

@ itsme  For the year 2010/2011 my tax code was K31 ans I was paying £80-20 tax per month, for the year 2011/2012 my tax code is K245 and I am now paying £117.20 tax per month, some difference as you would agree,

BORN FREE TAXED TILL DEATH
itsme
Grafter

But probably correct. It's important to check that you have the correct Tax Code as it's a double whammy when they correct it the next year.  As you Tax Code meant you paid £210 less and if the Tax code was maintained for this Tax year it will also would have meant that you underpaid by £210.
So 210 + 210 = 420. Spread over 12 months is an extra £35. and you are paying an extra 117.20-80.20 = 37
Community Veteran

Quote from: journeys
I still do my Self Assessment Tax Return online via the Government Gateway,

My wife had the same problem two years ago. She went to the local tax-office to ask if it was possible to stop being sent forms and she was told to write a nice polite letter, stating that her current circumstances meant that everything was taxed before receipt and nothing was likely to change in the foreseeable. She did this, and hasn't had a form since. So try that!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thank Nozzer.... was toying with the idea of writing to them....just wanted to see what others had in similar situation on this forum,
cheers
  Smiley
Community Veteran

@Nozzer, thanks, its worth a try, (although some of my income is not taxed at source)