Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seen to be clean...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seen to be clean...

Here's one for the spectacle wearers...
I have a lot of trouble keeping the lenses clean, I am blessed (cursed actually) with fast growing bushy eyebrows that can brush over the tops of the lenses leaving natural greasy lanolin on them, most attempts to clean it off only succeeds in spreading it further around the lenses.
I have tried the spray cleaners, sealed pack wipers, those micro cloths (Pentax were the most effective, but I can't seem to get them any more) but they quickly become impregnated with the lanolin, that doesn't seem to wash out.
I used to wash them with an old soft toothbrush and plain soap and only succeeded in removing the various coatings (scratch, anti-reflect and reactive) it can be very effective for a while, then you notice a mottled effect on the lenses where the coatings are coming off.
My optician recommends surgical spirit, I'm none too sure about that for the above paragraph reasons.
Any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Seen to be clean...

Since my cataract operation I have not needed glasses so don't have this problem. When I did need to clean glasses a good eye glass spray always did the trick.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

surgical spirit is the cheap mass produced bottle for makeup removal, if you look on a decent glas/lens cleaner cloth (like optinet) you will see they have alcohol in them as do most of the cleaners.....
ive found that a standard glass's cloth with a dab of surgical spirit will clean off the dirt and grime, the problem with removing the coatings is down to using too harsh a wipe like a cotton t-shirt
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

For me.... I just use the tiniest drop of washing up liquid on my finger tips... wet them under the tap... run them over the lens then dry with kitchen towel....  Cool
during the daytime use, I have a special handkerchief in my pocket that has been washed in similar amount of  washing up liquid,... well rinsed.... then dried with the iron...  Cool
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

I have found Boots Lens Wipes to be excellent.
The wipes come in individual sachets.
nanotm
Pro

yeah those wipes are normally pre soaked in alcohol (surgical spirit)
I bought 10 boxes of lens wipes for the other half to use (got them off ebay for 10p a box) and when she ran out she didn't bother to tell me but went for t-shirt cleaning and ruined the lenses ......  the next time round I got a bottle of surgical spirit and some lens tissues (about 3 quid in superdrug) the tissues are the dry kind in the tube, kept her lenses clean for about 5 years without scratching or otherwise damaging the lenses through cleaning, dropping them in the road killed them though.....
still its a lot cheaper to clean with the proper kit than to ruin the coating(s) and have to get them replaced ....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Since my cataract operation I have not needed glasses so don't have this problem.

Lucky you artmo.
Thanks for all the suggestions, the one nobody made was to trim the eyebrows!! Well in fact they're trimmed well down at each haircut, I used to do them myself (not particularly easy) using one of those nasal hair trimmers that have a mini blade arrangement about 1/4 inch wide, but a succession of barbers have asked me not to as it made trying to keep them evenly trimmed quite difficult.
I even went to the trouble of providing my own super-thin steel comb, as most of the plastic styling combs are too thick to get a really close trim. It takes around two weeks for them to become a nuisance again.
Left to their own devices un-trimmed I would quite soon make Dennis Healey look like a complete beginner in the eyebrow department, he evidently likes them...I don't.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro

trim or don't trim it makes no difference to the requirement to clean the lenses on a frequent basis  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ nanotm.... I can clearly see your point, there...  Cheesy
Fixes: 125

The more you trim the bushier eyebrows grow back. SWMBO has banned me from having mine trimmed Cheesy
A little washing up liquid on a regular basis seems to do the job for me. Occasionly my hot breath and a soft cloth does just as well.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@Mav, the same succession of barbers (all female) assure me that is an old-wives tale.
Certainly cutting the hair on my head doesn't make it grow any thicker...unfortunately. I'm not obsessed with having less hair as I age, when it goes it goes and I flatly refuse to have a comb over or a toupee, but I see the point of it not getting thicker if its cut.

Fixes: 125

It seems you are right.
Maybe SWMBO likes me with longer eyebrows Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Roberto0151
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
For me.... I just use the tiniest drop of washing up liquid on my finger tips... wet them under the tap... run them over the lens then dry with kitchen towel....  Cool
during the daytime use, I have a special handkerchief in my pocket that has been washed in similar amount of  washing up liquid,... well rinsed.... then dried with the iron...  Cool

I've been told that artificial detergents  can damage some coatings so I use the Shutter system but with toilet soap instead of washing up liquid.  My latest specs have a coating which is water repellant so all I need to do is blow on them after washing and they are dry in seconds.
Community Veteran

my optician warned me to not get surgical spirit onto the edges of my polycarbonate lenses as, although they are strong in the horizontal direction, they are pitifully weak in the vertical and will "layer off" and fall to pieces.
i use lick and a hanky, which works well enough for me.