cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing is believing?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seeing is believing?

Uhmm! an ad just came up on TV for Ultralase Laser eye surgery. Now personally I've never fancied it since, my optician advises that I would still need (albeit weaker) glasses afterwards. I'm also aware from previous treads in this forum that many members have been delighted with the results, so I'm not questioning the veracity of the procedure.
But I am making a comment about the wording of the ad: which advises it comes with a "lifetime guarantee" Good or bad. what will be guaranteed is that you will live with the results for the rest of your life.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Seeing is believing?

Now petlew that is well put!! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And look at the price of it..... ONLY £399 per eye...... How many pairs of glasses can you buy for that?  Cool
(ok some people will be silly enough to pay tons of money for the latest most fashionable looking frames, but they don`t make you see any better than "normal" priced frames, do they ? ) Roll eyes
johpal
Grafter

Some of us have more complex requirements for our vision. My lenses alone come to £300 a pair; then there's the question of the price of the frames.  Sad
Community Veteran

Only!! £300 the pair... Cheapskate!!  Had a new pair last November; lenses £220 each, total price...£525. Fortunately most of cost covered by dual membership HSA, although its called something different now.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

A major advantage of having laser correction would seem to be that many people ( like me  would then not need glasses at all 0 and i would not to have glasses on. I had perfect 20/20 vision until my mid 40's and still find glasses a nuisance .
But there are something that you can't do with laser corrected vision, flying, driving commercial vehicles, driving trains etc etc. so people need to be careful.
Or that is what i was told /
Community Veteran

@mal0z, not sure about your second paragraph. I only re-newed my PSV license last August. I don't think I was asked about laser corrected vision, but it was noted I wear full time specs. If all the commercial drivers who wear glasses were barred (yes, I know it wasn't your point) there'd be few left to drive the trucks and buses.
It could be argued that those who wear glasses or have laser correction are better suited to driving because their **eyesight is better than those who refuse to have it corrected for reasons of vanity or too scared to face up to the facts, who are actually more dangerous because they can't see properly. You may well have been able to read a car number plate from 40 feet at age 18, but at mid-life some may have difficulties seeing the car. I feel that there should be mandatory eye-tests for all drivers say, every 5 years, and the license should be revoked if failed, until proof positive that the eyesight has been corrected. I'm also aware that the Police can recommend an eyesight test in the event of a traffic incident...but only recommend it, I don't think they can demand it. Magistrates may be able to though.
Edit: at ** I accept I should have written vision there not eyesight. I have 20 20 vision with my specs on but, poor eyesight without them.

Community Veteran

@Pedlow - I bow to your superior knowledge, but I definitely know it was an issue with some jobs like that. I looked at like  train driving a few years ago - £30++ k doing a really good job. That's more than some pilots pay in smaller aircraft. and I'm 95% certain there was a laser surgery ban then
.But technology may have moved on. Medical science is moving fast.  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the Large Vehicle medical ask about laser - pic one, but no mention in the instruction? pic 2
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/MedicalRulesForDrivers/DG_4022415
Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
But technology may have moved on. Medical science is moving fast.  Smiley

Yes, I did say I wasn't sure whether I was asked, I might have been, but since it didn't apply to me I just forgot about it, I'll take more notice Feb 2011 when I'm 65 and have to renew the licence every year rather than every 5 as now.
And yes again, I'm sure laser surgery has made vast improvements in the techniques from the earlier actual fine cutting of the cornea's in the early days -when the Russians used to have "production lines" of patients doing up to 500 corrective operations a day- Scar tissue was then a serious issue that made long term results not worth the trouble. This may have led to vehicle licensing problems I guess, so it may be the type of surgery you've had rather than if you've had it.

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
And look at the price of it..... ONLY £399 per eye...... How many pairs of glasses can you buy for that?  Cool

This is the 'from' price and can be a lot more after a test.  It's typical of what the High Street opticians charge.
I have 3 friends who went to Moorfields to have laser surgery and they paid over £3000 each.  The 2 eyes were set to different distances and the idea is that the sight merges and eradicates the need for glasses.  2 of them are delighted with the work but the third not as pleased.  She expected more from the treatment than it delivered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I am sure there was an article in the press recently over concerns that as you got older the shape of your eye would continue to alter and some people found they needed to resort to glasses again after 6 or 7 years or have further laser treatment so I wonder what the guarantee actually covers... if it guarantees 20/20 vision for a lifetime then it's a bargain, however I will stick to glasses as a few unfortunate people have ended up with worse sight following (irreversible) laser treatment .
Community Veteran

@gleneagles. You have quoted almost word for word what my optician said to me when, I just out of interest asked her about laser treatment.

Community Veteran

Laser treatment is still very new.  Even in the US where it has been around a bit longer they haven't got sufficient history to know of any side effects from it.  On a visit to my eye surgeon I asked him about it.  He said he didn't recommend it and pointed out that of the 3 senior surgeons in the department none of them had received the treatment and all still wore glasses instead.  
Community Veteran

Exactly artmo, asked a previous optician all of 20 years ago when the slice'n'dice method was in its infancy, and in fairness -I might have been more interested in trying it- he said that, when he lets his family have it done, he will let me know...he never has!!