Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

See how they Run......

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

See how they Run......

Yesterday afternoon, we went round to a neighbours Farm for afternoon tea.
Afterwards, he & I went for a walk around the farm, down country lanes.
As usual, he took his shotgun, not loaded but safely "broken" anyway.
Cartridges in his pocket.
We came across a foreign registered 4x4 parked by a gate, and heard what sounded like foreign voices.
The field contained Sheep and Lambs.
The farmer had had trouble in the past with Lamb stealing, so he quietly let down two of the tyres on the car, away from the field.....
Then, as we hid behind a tall hedge, he let off two blasts from his shotgun, into the air.
You should have seen these two suspicious characters run.........
They jumped into their 4x4, which drove off, with the noises coming from the tyres you would expect from driving on a flat tyre !!!
Satisfaction, and a tale to tell the Ladies once we returned.
24 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: See how they Run......

the only dodgy thing there was the fact he let the tyres down, if he had observed them rustling he could have legitimately shot at them though
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

He just wanted to scare them off...
And remain anonymous.
Shooting at them would have had implications...

The tall hedge was not on a Public Highway, had we been on the Lane, it is likely we would have been seen.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

I can see no reason why the tyres would need to be let down , which can be dangerous to the driver and other road users
Was these suspicious characters on public or private land at the time ?
Regards
Mike
Mike
pwatson
Rising Star

What a thoroughly unpleasant tale - You've detailed a racist attack on people who you have decided were up to no good purely because they were driving a foreign 4x4 and they had foreign voices?
In so doing your 'friend' has probably broken section 22A of the RTA and quite possibly firearms rules as well.
You ought to be ashamed of your behaviour rather than posting your exploits here.  
Community Veteran

I remember being quite scared as a child when walking along the edge of a field with a friend.
Through some gaps in the hedge we noticed a couple of men with shotguns walking along the road clearly keeping pace with us.
As in the OP they were also probably farmers keeping an eye on things but we were doing nothing illegal and found this very threatening.
We got away from there as fast as our little legs would go.
All very "get off my land".
Infinity
Pro

The foreign voices tied the men, acting suspiciously,  to the foreign registered vehicle.
The Lane & Field are both on private land, and accessed through a Gate, with signs stating Private.
Community Veteran

I can just see it now;
Two people had driven over from another country came to Britain for a holiday and had stopped to see the scenery, all the while some scrote let down their tyres when they weren't looking, and as they were quietly talking about the beauty of the english countryside, they were all of a sudden startled by someone firing a gun nearby, assuming they were under attack from a crazed lunatic, they ran for the car and tried driving off, only to find their car had been sabotaged, making escape difficult and exceptionally dangerous, almost coming off the road several times and nearly toppling the vehicle. They reported this to the police and the manhunt for two gun-weilding maniacs continues, their opinion of this green and pleasant land that is Britain now tarnished by the reckless and foolish attacks by agricultural yobbos...
Infinity
Pro

You obviously don't live in the Countryside, nor have had Sheep & Lambs stolen, by characters who had driven through a gate, onto Private land !
As @nanotm stated, he was probably within his rights to shoot towards them, but chose not to, despite their suspicious actions.
Had they already stolen a Lamb, I suspect the Farmer would have shot out the 4x4 tyres.
Community Veteran

Ah the rules of the countryside, always guilty, and no thought given to any other potential scenarios, only applies to those with an IQ that is outstripped by a turnip... Roll eyes
If they were there illegitimately, and your buddy had a gun on him, you should have approached them and just said "Oi!! Gerroff moi laaand y'dirty forriners!!", would have been just as effective rather than causing death by sabotage of a vehicle... Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro

Indeed sabotage of the vehicle would only be conscionable if they had been caught in the act of interfering with livestock and the objective was to detain them until the police attended the scene, scaring them away doesn't involve attempted murder unless it is racially motivated,
As someone who has suffered from livestock theft I cannot conceive of a situation where I would have recklessly endangered life in such a fashion, certainly I took pot shots (with rock salt rounds) at those who were on my land and was justified in doing so regardless of their intent
But not once did I put myself on the wrong side of the law by doing damage to property in such a fashion, much the same as many farmers in the area at the time when we were all plagued by a particular ethnic group intent on wrongdoing
Infinity
Pro

I just spoke to my neighbour.
He was in the local Pub last night, the local bobby, off duty, whose Dad is a farmer, and he himself who obviously grew up on a farm, said no action would be taken.
The Police have the vehicle details, and it will be placed on a Watch List.
Community Veteran

Having lived in the countryside for most of my life I've met characters who would have shot the tyres out and then gone looking for the transgressors. Theses guys should count themselves lucky that they only lost a couple of tyres. Had they been innocent I doubt they would have legged it. After all, they couldn't see anyone with  a gun!
Geoff,
York.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: PlusComUK
As @nanotm stated, he was probably within his rights to shoot towards them

Does that mean if I come downstairs during the night to investigate a noise and find some uninvited person in my house I'm "probably within my rights to shoot towards them" assuming I have a suitable firearm?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro

that determination is made by if you are in fear for your life and did you zip them in the back whilst they were running away ....
your actually likely to get away with shooting someone in the back if the scene shows they were committing a crime and not clearly attempting to flee....
personally I wouldn't go downstairs to investigate a noise I would just call the plod, fetch the 12gague from the gun safe and sit on the bed with the door ajar to gut anything that attempted to enter the upstairs, safer that way and you don't have to argue whatever you just plastered all over the wall wasn't intent on endangering life ....