cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security and cold calls

Fixes: 121

Security and cold calls

Received a call earlier from a lady asking to speak to Mr <name>. Before confirming it was me I asked who's calling and she said she was from EE and proceeded to ask security questions. When I said I don't answer security questions to cold callers she told me that she has my details in front of me and I should answer. I then told her that if she has my details she can email me or send a text at which point she got a bit stroppy and hung up.
I've since checked the number and it does appear to belong to EE but I still don't answer security questions on cold calls.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

40 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Security and cold calls

If you are a customer of EE, be sure to phone/email and complain about the call. If it was EE they need to improve their act, if it wasn't they should be made aware.
Nowadays I do not answer the phone using my name or phone number, I just say hello and let the caller provide details before deciding on action. If I think they are fake I'll generally string them along as long as possible to waste their time and reduce their availability to annoy/defraud other people. I used to get boiler room calls with all kinds of idiots trying to self me diamonds, carbon credits, real estate, fine wines, art, silver mining shares,  etc. They'd originally obtained my details from an old list of Pilkington Glass shareholders which I'd only held shares for a year or so. During their call I usually intimate I'm very old, wealthy, looking for high return schemes and that I have a poor memory (which is only partly truthful  Wink ). I invariably cannot make decisions over the phone because "my daughter is listening" and could they send me prospectus by post. If they have my address already I subsequently have post office failures to deliver their letters and could they please resend.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I do much the same. Wait for them to tell me who they are or ask direct.
I do the same with door knockers.
Usually replying to their first question with "What business is that of yours?"
Always seems to cause a few splutters and a long pause.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Not exactly "cut and dried"  .... but cold calling is illegal.....
http://www.inbrief.co.uk/consumer-law/cold-calling-and-the-law.htm
I had a guy, supposedly from Virgin Media...( previous tennant had virgin...i keep getting the "to the householder" envelopes.. mark the Not Known and R.T.S. and put them back in the post ).
When I opened the door to him... he said " I am  from Virgin Media" .... I said  " So What"... He was stumped for a few seconds... then started his spiel... I then told him to " Go and get a proper job, as Cold Calling is Illegal"... and shut the door... I could see he was not amused...(from my front room window)...  especially as he walked straight to his car, and started to make a phone call....  presumably to the Virgin Agency... or the Job centre... !  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

WRT door step ones, I got a NO THANKS sticker from Amazon (about £1 delivered, gone up to £1.49 now) it says no to virtually all them, including religious ones. Since I put it on the door have had ZERO cold callers. Add to my CPR call blocker and I rarely hear from any call centers any more. And when I do I just press the button and their number is blocked.

It seems so many, like me, answer the phone with a simple 'Hello' - unless, of course, the caller display shows it's family/friends.
As a child I was taught to answer the phone with the subscriber number (being in London it was the last 4 of 01-xxx-xxxx). I always assumed it was to let the caller know they have got through to the right number.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
As a child I was taught to answer the phone with the subscriber number (being in London it was the last 4 of 01-xxx-xxxx). I always assumed it was to let the caller know they have got through to the right number.

You got badgered by the fairy of the phone then?  Grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDStLml4mYA
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: Mav
Received a call earlier from a lady asking to speak to Mr <name>. Before confirming it was me I asked who's calling and she said she was from EE and proceeded to ask security questions. When I said I don't answer security questions to cold callers she told me that she has my details in front of me and I should answer. I then told her that if she has my details she can email me or send a text at which point she got a bit stroppy and hung up.
I've since checked the number and it does appear to belong to EE but I still don't answer security questions on cold calls.

I currently work for EE (retail channel) - 07973 100 1XX are our numbers. They wouldn't have your details in front of them (since the security questions you give are typed in and then allow us to see the account details!) - report it. I've heard of some CS agents and some various fraudulent activity going on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: twocvbloke
the fairy of the phone then?  Grin

Starring the PN CS team at 1:09
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Add to my CPR call blocker and I rarely hear from any call centers any more. And when I do I just press the button and their number is blocked.

Just heard from a friend who uses a call blocker. She is concerned that she has calls from her GP blocked because the number isn't shown, simply 'Private call'.

Quote from: meh
I currently work for EE (retail channel) - 07973 100 1XX are our numbers. They wouldn't have your details in front of them (since the security questions you give are typed in and then allow us to see the account details!) - report it. I've heard of some CS agents and some various fraudulent activity going on.
The caller display showed an 0800 number. A Google check seemed to indicate it originated from EE but lots of complaints about cold calling.
EE don't make it easy to contact them by email or online but I eventually found a form which I duly completed and submitted.
We'll see what comes of it.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: Hairy
Add to my CPR call blocker and I rarely hear from any call centers any more. And when I do I just press the button and their number is blocked.

Just heard from a friend who uses a call blocker. She is concerned that she has calls from her GP blocked because the number isn't shown, simply 'Private call'.

I also use a CPR call blocker and brilliant it is too. You have to set it to block Number Withheld numbers. But its not such a good idea, as you point out calls from doctors, community nurses etc. are routinely made with Number Withheld. or in other words calls from people you may want to receive.
I have noticed occasionally that some cold callers are beginning to use Number Withheld making them difficult to block.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that info Petlew. Worth knowing Smiley
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Going back awhile I would always ignore 'Withheld' on the caller display, but more recently, as noted above, health, welfare, libraries etc have taken to withholding their number.
I now answer 'Withheld' calls, as it's only very rarely a spammer/scammer. The bad guys seem to favour using actual numbers now. Spoofed or not, I neither know nor care - the point is it's easier to block them.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

I've had a large number of calls from "EE" trying to get me to upgrade my package although they are calling on my Virgin Mobile number which only my family, EE (contact number when I signed up with them and Mobiles.co.uk knew.
They always ask for security questions etc and I ask in return what number they have on record they are trying to get me to upgrade. This usually results in them hanging up or making excuses.
The call generally starts off "Now you've been a customer with us for a while" - actually when they started I'd only been a customer for a couple of weeks.
Either EE or Mobiles.co.uk have sold my number on or there is an internal data leak as the number they call is about as private as it gets but they still have my basic details.