cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure document storage

Trevor
Grafter

Secure document storage

In accordance with their apparent policy of progressively withdrawing all the services we actually use whilst simultaneously bombarding us with offers which we aren't interested in, our bank has now advised that they are no longer willing to store our deed box in their vault.

Any recommendations on where best to store key documents nowadays?

Trevor

14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Secure document storage

In a fireproof documents safe, something like what these people sell:

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/fireproof-boxes/

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Trevor, what about using your Solicitor is that not an option?

Trevor
Grafter

Thanks guys. We do have a fireproof box but there's still the theft risk and the paranoid in me feels that house deeds shouldn't be kept in the house. We haven't got a tame solicitor, not having moved house for nearly 40 years. Mind you, it's probably time we reviewed our wills so maybe seeking out a local solicitor would be a good move.

The bank's letter came at a bad time - I was waiting in for yet a third day for a BT OR engineer (how many visits should it take to find and fix a corroded connection at the top of a pole?) and what I hoped was an SMS from BT turned out to be the passport office rejecting my photograph. Then came the billet doux from the bank.

The joys of modern life!

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well our deeds are stored with the Land Registry, which seems to be the norm these days. As for wills, we keep a copy obviously but there is one lodged with the solicitor that helped put it together and we have given copies to each of our four children.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

If you live near one of its "stores" Metrobank offers the service at a price.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/safe-deposit-boxes/

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

Well our deeds are stored with the Land Registry, which seems to be the norm these days. As for wills, we keep a copy obviously but there is one lodged with the solicitor that helped put it together and we have given copies to each of our four children.  

Same here.

Although we have the deeds to our property I think they are just for historical interest, if you have a very old house say pre 1900 then the deeds can make interesting reading, my late mothers house was built around that time and I recall there was a lot of interesting stuff in the deeds, in particular who had lived there before, what they paid and a map of the local area, the road which is now a dual carriage way was a small track in those days.

Plenty of stamps in the deeds but I didn't spot a penny black.

Trevor
Grafter

Yes, ours is a 1930s house so there is lots of historical interest in the deeds folder. I agree though that, legally speaking, the documents probably aren't as vital as they used to be so maybe I'm being a bit precious about them. Also, there was a time when share certificates and life insurance policies were important documents in their own right but that also isn't so much of an issue as it used to be.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Isn`t Microsoft/Google  " The Cloud "  .... a safe place then  ?  

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

In a fireproof documents safe, something like what these people sell:

http://www.safelincs.co.uk/fireproof-boxes/

Reading of the O.P`s fear of burglary and another comment on handing over documents to a solicitor for safe keeping......  this Office Block, housed a couple of legal firms....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/pictures-firefighters-battle-huge-blaze-at-waterlooville-office-blo...

So, it would be good to get confirmation that documents stored by them were kept in fireproof containers before handing them over....

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

" The Cloud "  .... a safe place then  ?  

Plenty of celebs would say no.

My deeds are in a box on top of a cupboard where they have been for the past twenty years.

Community Veteran

Ah, well, if The Cloud, is not safe.... then perhaps you better leave them in  Lancashire... there`s a place there called

BACUP.....

Cheesy

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, deeds are no longer required.  When I paid off my mortgage I got the original lease and a letter from the land registry showing all the details and that the property was no longer mortgaged.

The recommendation I had was that wills should not be kept in a bank deposit box since you won't be allowed access to the box until probate has been granted, and probate obviously can't be granted without a will.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Wills can be stored securely by the Probate Service.

https://www.gov.uk/make-will/writing-your-will

Community Veteran

Here's one in Manchester.

In Birmingham.

And one in Leicester or this one in Leicester.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.