Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure disposal of CD-RWs

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Secure disposal of CD-RWs

Slightly OT, I put two back to back, ( magazine freebie software ones ) shiny side out, on a length of string, as bird scarers.
They catch the sun as they rotate in the wind.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

The Bench Grinder in the garage renders them useless in seconds, it takes longer putting safety goggles and gloves on !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I always use a pointed tool like a bradawl and put three deep gouges across the disk.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Quote from: gleneagles
putting safety goggles and gloves on !

Lol they can be a nuisance. I remember cuting off the mounting bracket from an exhaust a 3 years back. Middle of winter, 6:30pm so it was dark, out there under the car with a lamp borrowed from the living room cutting away this exhaust with no gloves or glasses. To top it all off it was the first time using an angle grinder too  Crazy Stupid stuff at its best I know but i was in a bit of a hurry at the time and luckily I didn't get hurt but would i do it again now? never.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

I'll second the microwave technique,  it's gotta be the most effective way to make a disc unreadable. 
Only takes a couple of seconds,  and looks sparkly too.
Community Veteran

Here's one of the CD shredders used by the USA military. Resulting pices 2.2 x 4 mm
Edit - here's another which grinds off the information layer.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I remember when I was a student .. had a CD recorder and back in the day they cost £300 Shocked
Learnt the hard way that bending CD's with your hands to break them is not the best idea. Ouch.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

£300 cd recorders.. yep, i remember them along with buffer underuns etc. Not the greatest or most reliable drives compared to todays. You can get a DVDRW for very little these days and they're all pretty much guaranteed to successfully write the disk!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

What a lot of people don`t realise is, that the information on a CD/DVD is not on the "shiny side" plastic bit... it is on the silvery "backside" of the label on the other side ! ( as the siiver is on a glass mirror)
maranello
Pro

Thanks for all the responses.
Unfortunately blenders and microwaves have been ruled out. For aesthetic reasons I tried to get permission to use the griddle pan, but with no success.
However, a mini-blowtorch used outdoors was permitted. Works a treat, discs are no longer flat and nicely charred.
My other car isn't a Ferrari