Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secrets of Silicon Valley

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Secrets of Silicon Valley

I watched part 1 of the BBC4 show reviewed in the Guardian recently on IPlayer, I saw that behind all the hype, some very disturbing aspects.

Is humanity being led by robotisation and AI to the sunny lands of Utopia or a dark Dystopia of Lords of the Techniverse and valueless serfs? What do you think?

I won't be around to see it, but my offspring and theirs may be, That worries the scented plop out of me.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Secrets of Silicon Valley

Strangely there was nothing there about the facebook chatbots developing their own language and being shutdown to prevent loss of control in that article.

Absolutely nothing and yet this article is supposed to be warning of a dangerous future regarding AI?

Worse than a dailymail article if you ask me.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Did you see the size of the new Apple HQ!

A mile in circumference for goodness sake, of course they can afford it not paying their taxes!

Luzern
Pro

7up wrote:

Strangely there was nothing there about the facebook chatbots developing their own language and being shutdown to prevent loss of control in that article.

Absolutely nothing and yet this article is supposed to be warning of a dangerous future regarding AI?

Worse than a dailymail article if you ask me.

The link was given as a pointer to the show's theme. Maybe viewing of the show will be of more value than criticism of the newspaper article. Smiley

And you must know that nothing can be worse than a Daily Mail article.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
DaveyH
Pro

7up wrote:

No its not. Crazy2

Its a review of a TV programme...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Most things change over the centuries but one thing that never changes is that one group of people who have the money or the skills to get the money will lord it over those who do not.

Combine this with the increase in population many of whom who are unskilled and you have a ticking time bomb, to survive people will take work for what ever money they can get so the standard of living will decrease, we already see this in the constant reduction of services and of course jobs in those services.

No problem for the very rich, by rich I mean billionaires who live in a complete different world to the rest of us.

At some point in the future I can see a, ' tipping point' where the population will realise they have been lied to and mislead by so called leaders who are supported by the rich to maintain their own lifestyle.

It will be the young who trigger this revolution as they come to realise their future prospects are uncertain and much of what they have been told is a falsehood, ie: Get a degree and your future is assured. Rather than you start work owing £ 27,000 plus interest, your chances of owing a house is almost nil, your job if you have one is not guaranteed, your pension if you live long enough is not guaranteed,

What will the final outcome be ?

Rare for the very rich to lose but it does happen.

Fortunately I will not be around to witness it

Luzern
Pro

I happened to browse the library's copy of Rail, which had a good article on the Southern drivers' action. Their salary is £49K + average overtime £10K. with an increase they turned down of 24% over 4 years, if they accepted ' driver only operation'.

I'm not bemoaning their skills, but it certainly makes a mockery of those with even a Masters or Doctorate who get much less, or nurses' and teachers' salaries.

Community Veteran

@Luzern

I am struggling a bit to understand how the pay of train drivers relates to your initial post ?

The pay of train drivers relates to the strength of their union, the fear of some of their members not to oppose a action they do not believe in and finally by the government and organization running the service who pass the ball to each other on what action to take.

The answer is simple tell them to return to work with no further strikes or industrial action or they will be dismissed.

Then hire several coach firms to bus people to the locations where the train stops, meanwhile train up the thousands of people out of work to do the job, how long does training take 6 months, 1 year.

Better to inconvenience travellers for that period rather than constant inconvenience they suffer now, meanwhile plenty of maintenance of the existing line can be done by private firms whilst no trains are running.

Explain why the above would not work ? Weakness is never rewarded only taken advantage of.

Luzern
Pro

@gleneagles Connection is from your earlier post.

It will be the young who trigger this revolution as they come to realise their future prospects are uncertain and much of what they have been told is a falsehood, ie: Get a degree and your future is assured. Rather than you start work owing £ 27,000 plus interest, your chances of owing a house is almost nil, your job if you have one is not guaranteed, your pension if you live long enough is not guaranteed,

Community Veteran

Thanks.

Smiley

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Am surprised how no one has mentioned how UBER has abused the taxi drivers in India ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
DaveyH
Pro

Uber abuses drivers pretty much everywhere.

Human drivers are just an inconvenient necessity to them ATM that will be ditched the moment full autonomy becomes a reality.

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

Am surprised how no one has mentioned how UBER has abused the taxi drivers in India ?

Well that was given as an example in the program but as I understand it these drivers were classed as self employed.

At first they made good money but like anything that makes money more people started doing it and as a result their takings fell to the point where they were in debt due to taking out car loans.

Is this any different to the corner shop that was a butchers, bakers or whatever, the big supermarkets arrived and forced many out of business, in turn we now see these supermarkets under pressure from internet sellers and so the process goes on.

The point is, is uber any different ? They are simply one part of the constant change taking place

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Uber's next step'll be JohnnyCab...

Hopefully not looking like a poor model of Robert Picardo though........

johnny-cab

Community Veteran

No that's wrong. The next step will be the solving of the vehicle battery problem.

Unfortunately it will be matrix style with the robots in charge driving and a pair of human batteries packed in the boot.