cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secrecy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Secrecy

Whilst  accepting that some decisions made by the government need to be kept secret for a number of years there is no doubt that far to many things fall into this category and probably put under the secrecy label to avoid embarrassing the government of the day however this particular one seems to have backfired,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26380159
Odd how it gives immunity to previous members of the IRA but nothing to Soldiers or others involved with the troubles.
Sure there is going to be an inquiry, isn't there always but apart from the vast cost and time it will take exactly what will it do, this assumes it's published in full and not up under the secrecy file for years.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Secrecy

It makes you wonder what else was hidden from us during these years. Two that come to mind that we have still not been told about fully are the Iraq dossier and the Kelly affair.  I think a certain PM has a lot to answer for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I can't say I'm overjoyed at the Northern Ireland "Letters of Comfort" which has let terrorists of the legal hook, but looking at the wider picture this may have saved lives in facilitating a settlement. Justice will come later when these geezers meet their Maker.
Equally, I'm sure no one doubts that the UK legal system has no direct connection to justice.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

It seems strange to me that you can be tried in the UK now for the same murder more than once.
But a simple letter can stop you being tried at all.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: gleneagles
Whilst  accepting that some decisions made by the government need to be kept secret for a number of years there is no doubt that far to many things fall into this category and probably put under the secrecy label to avoid embarrassing the government of the day however this particular one seems to have backfired,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26380159
Odd how it gives immunity to previous members of the IRA but nothing to Soldiers or others involved with the troubles.
Sure there is going to be an inquiry, isn't there always but apart from the vast cost and time it will take exactly what will it do, this assumes it's published in full and not up under the secrecy file for years.
the enquiry will be pointless, the only shame is that the duplicitous shyster didn't secure the same treatment for all military/police/paramilitary who were facing any form of judicial review owing to involvement in N.I.
I might also point out that the current first minister is only creating a shit storm because the loyalists weren't  given the same treatment as the republicans.....
Quote from: artmo
It makes you wonder what else was hidden from us during these years. Two that come to mind that we have still not been told about fully are the Iraq dossier and the Kelly affair.  I think a certain PM has a lot to answer for.
over 1000 so called acts of parliament or statutory instruments were brought into being in total secrecy under the emergency powers act once Teflon B'Liar  declared a war on terror (a clever little gem that meant liabore were shovelling through new regulations by tabling them in  closed cabinet meetings and not even required to publish anything more than the statute number) one of my favourites they used this little trick for was the dissolution of Scottish parliament order that mandates the Scottish parliament be dissolved if they haven't gained independence by 2015, something that cant be overturned by Cameron and Co without revealing its existence to the whole world and since Gordon no brains brown's last act before the last election was to shut down the backdoor act of parliament loophole they cant even stop it from being carried out (but you can bet your bottom dollar that milipeed  and co will be bouncing up and down about it as if its a con-dem idea (well assuming that Scotland don't vote for independence) it'll all but hand liabore the next election on a platter, all they have to do is prevent the various orders being unsealed by parliament (because there are still more than 500 sealed acts from teflons first term in office) before the due date .....

theres a lot more besides the likes of the dodgy paperwork that sent the UK to war in the middle east, but as a lot of people have said already you cannot arrest a UK prime minister for making mistakes in office and try them for there crimes here in the UK unless you are willing to make the monarchy a dictatorship all over again (although that doesn't mean that the ICC couldn't do them for you)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo

We still don't know exactly what Christopher Lee did in WWII as in The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)