Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second hand car tyres

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Second hand car tyres

I must get out more, I never realised you could still buy part worn tyres, and 4.5 mullion sold in the UK every year! Blimey, last time I even thought about doing such a daft thing must have be about forty years ago.

Time to make it illegal before we make ourselves inadvertently illegal I'd say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38691767

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Second hand car tyres

They're perfectly okay so long as they're approved and properly checked over, rather than the cheaper, "under the table" types from dubious back-street garages where they're taken off scrappers and re-sold as-is without so much as a look over for defects... Smiley
Minivanman
Hero

Like second hand food you mean? Smiley

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

No, that's just being silly... Roll eyes

Next you'll be saying second hand cars should be illegal, cos there are cars on the road today that make dodgy tyres look like they're brand new... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What's your life worth ?

A front wheel blowout at 70 mph  could well end up fatal.

Sure new tyres can also blowout but the chances are less, I would rather know the history of my tyres from new despite assurances from any sellers of second hand tyres that they have been fully checked and tested.

Never try to save money on tyres or brake parts.

I could well be wrong but I am sticking to that view.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

What's your life worth ?

At the moment? About £3.47... Funny

Minivanman
Hero

Totally agree @gleneagles, it would not enter my head these days to buy second hand tyres no matter how well they might have been checked. It's just not worth it.

If you cannot afford new tyres when they are needed, then you should not be on the road. Simples really.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

twocvbloke wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

What's your life worth ?

At the moment? About £3.47... Funny

@twocvbloke   THAT much  ? ? ?   Crikey me,..... you do have a high opinion of yourself ! ! ! ! ! ...  Grin

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

@twocvbloke   THAT much  ? ? ?

That's not accounting for debt of course... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

2nd hand tyres are fine, went through dozens when I used to do 30K a year, £50 a pair fitted vs £150 for new ones which would be replaced in a year any way. Although I did have one that was a puncture magnet, after the 2nd repair, I bought a new one as it was cheaper.

The ONLY blow out I have ever had was on a NEW tyre. It had only been on for a few weeks, hole in the side wall. Eventually got a refund from ATS for it.
Community Veteran

Recycling is good but not for tyres? That makes no sense.

Why throw away perfectly good tyres.

My brother does 20000 plus miles a year and always buys 2nd hand. Never had a problem.

Imagine the rise in the price of goods if haulage companies were forced to buy new instead of retreads.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

100yds from my house is a tyre garage, new and part worn , i have complained to council several times over the amount of old tyres they stack up outside , fire hazzard !!.
Apart from that their bigest customers are local Taxi firms 😞
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:
i have complained to council several times over the amount of old tyres they stack up outside , fire hazzard !!.

Set fire to it and call the council to say "See? I told you it was a fire hazard!"... Funny

Fixes: 125

Is there a difference between retreads and part used tyres?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

quelquod
Aspiring Pro

Yes indeed.

A part-used tyre is exactly what the name says it is. It's been used before and no one has done any examination (apart from maybe a quick visual check) to see whether it's still OK. Often they come from accident write-offs, sometimes from people swapping tyres early etc. You pays your money ...

A retread is a professionally produced tyre to the standard of a new tyre. It has a new tread pattern vulcanised to the old tyre base and uses the original tyre sidewall structure etc. The tyre itself is no less safe than a new one, though the performance of the tread regarding grip, wet-handling, noise etc. will (almost certainly) be poorer.

It's worth noting that all or virtually all hauliers and bus companies use retreads and these heavy tyres are designed from day 1 to have multiple retreading.

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!