cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Law of Thermodynamics & Entropy.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Second Law of Thermodynamics & Entropy.

In the last episode of the wonders of the Universe by Prof Brian Cox he referred to the Second Law of Thermodynamics and entropy which simply put means that everything is progressing along a time line and at some point in the future nothing but dust will remain.
If this second law is a fact and it seems quite clear (at least to me) it is then how can anyone who accepts it also hold religious views at the same time. ?
Good topic for a Sunday !
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Second Law of Thermodynamics & Entropy.

that wasnt as I remembered it, Got an HNC in thermodynamic a long time ago - 1965
shortened,
1st law  heat cant flow from cold to hot without energy input
2nd law This means it is impossible to extract energy by heat from a high-temperature energy source and then convert all of the energy into work. At least some of the energy must be passed on to heat a low-temperature energy sink. Thus, a heat engine with 100% efficiency is thermodynamically impossible. This also means that it is impossible to build solar panels that generate electricity solely from the infrared band of the electromagnetic spectrum without consideration of the temperature on the other side of the panel (as is the case with conventional solar panels that operate in the visible spectrum).
see here for a full description
Fixes: 47

I didn't know there was a zeroth law Undecided
But in response to gleneagles' point I've never understood how science and religion could be reconciled.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Strat - may I refer you to Isaac Asimov's "Robots and Empire", which expounds the zeroth law (of robotics - will that do?) as to science and religion, I have no problem with holding to both - there are more things in heaven and earth ... Smiley
John
Fixes: 47

I'll have a read.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The second law of thermodynamics - everything comes to an end eventually.  And this is news because ...
And why is this in conflict with religious belief?