cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Hand Cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Second Hand Cars

A Couple of Garages have sprung up around here offering to buy cars for cash and looking at the cars they have for sale the prices do not seem to bad.
Obviously I have not been able to check them out in detail but is the cost of second hand cars going up or down.
I am talking about cars around 5 to 7 years old.
26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Second Hand Cars

Hard times should be depressing the market but, as fewer people can afford newer vehicles this may boost the market for older ones.
More economical cars will probably go up in value (comparatively) and gas guzzlers will be difficult to give away.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Secondhand gas guzzlers can be surprisingly economical on total cost of ownership due to low purchase price if you don't do a huge mileage.
And if they (and you) are old enough tax isn't too bad and insurance is cheap.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Best guide to second hand cars, is available in most GOOD newsagents... (WHS etc etc)  it is called "Parkers" guide.... gives you loads of info on how the car "works" or not... what faults are prevalent in a particular year/model, and three price bands  so you can get a good idea of what you are buying/selling
Just a thought... but if the cars on the forecourts look "cheap"/Reasonable,.... then don`t forget when the guy is buying, he is buying MUCH cheaper than he is selling ! ! ! ...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: HPsauce
Secondhand gas guzzlers can be surprisingly economical on total cost of ownership due to low purchase price if you don't do a huge mileage.
And if they (and you) are old enough tax isn't too bad and insurance is cheap.

I'd be tempted to second that but they can be troublesome too. We've got a 2.5 french thing sat on the drive over a year now due to a cambelt fault (no it didn't snap, break or do anything bad). Had the engine out to change it on the false diagnosis of some arrogant mechie who "can change any cambelt.. including yours....[4 hours later] i can't change it, your engine needs lifting out". Long story short, no mechie throughout the western half of the county would touch it based on this diagnosis and i did the job myself. It now refuses to start at all.
The worst bit is that because they cost quite a lot to run most people don't bother with the expensive jobs (like cambelt) and leave it for the next owner.. or the one after that.
In honesty i still love the car stuck on the drive but after costing in excess of £2k in tools, parts, more parts and more tools and still refusing to run i would urge anyone considering a gas guzzler to reconsider unless you have a lot of money.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

I've always been amused by the statement that one could buy secondhand big luxury cars, like Jags or Mercs, at knock down prices and comparing those prices with newer smaller cars like a Focus or Astra.
People are inclined to forget that repair costs can relate to the new price of the car and that, if they are unlucky, things can get very expensive.
Community Veteran

It depends, you'd be surprised how little work those bigger cars need.
They're generally very solidly built and way over-engineered for everyday use.
And even then the parts aren't THAT expensive.
My own version is designed to run all day every day at way more than double the UK legal limit and should last at least 500,000 miles.
With about 120,000 on the clock it's barely run in....... Cool
But then, like any such asset you have to know when it's "beyond economic repair" and luck plays a part in that. Wink
Community Veteran

It's tempting to think that way HP but i've had first hand experience of this 3 times and each one of them has had some nasty faults that are not visible.
The cars look and handle fine.but once you start to drive it on a regular basis you start noticing small symptoms which lead to larger problems.
My first example was posted above - cambelt which no mechanic would change because of one sods diagnosis. Turns out its pretty easy to get off with the engine in bay (i did it yesterday - refitting however  is a two person job).  I've also had many mechanics promise to "get back to you if you leave your number". You chase them up.. hear nothing, ring again, more promised call backs. To put it plainly, normal non-dealership mechanics don't like old expensive cars because if they cock something up, they're liable for a lot of expense. 90K on the clock, dead but theoretically it was capable of 500k. 3 previous owners, no service history (despite being ebayed with full history).
Then I have the second example.  Our second car (same model as above) was fine.. until i put my foot down and noticed the engine wobbling badly. I never got to the bottom of that until i broke it up for parts when i discovered all sorts of horrors and bodges under the hood and a knackered bottom engine mount which wasn't visible with the engine in place. No timing belt change documented either. 130k on the clock when it became uneconomical to continue. Again, in theory the engine and box were good for 500k (hence they're sat on a pallet in case i need them - though the engine has had bits scavenged off it for #1). 3 previous owners, service history from 2nd owner onwards.
3rd and final example (again, same car as the other two), no history at all, cambelt changed at least once as its not got any volvo markings but no idea if the rollers and water pump were changed. Breather system is absolutely fubar'd - valve has broken away from the breather system which means it breathes out oil which is consequently sucked in by the heater blower motor. £206 in parts alone.No key for the alloys, so they will have to be drilled and a new set of botls and key purchased (another £80). Theres more but i can't be bothered to list it. 110k on the clock, still alive but probably not for much longer as i might sell it on or break it for the engine. 6 previous owners, no history at all - just one MOT, logbook and emissions test.
All 3 of these cars had the same capability of reaching 500K miles with ease. They're all volvo powered with AW gearboxes (same as Toyota use) yet its the other things which past owners have neglected to fix in favour of saddling the next owner with it instead. All 3 of them were robust, good engines, strongly built and bargain priced for luxo barges. Look at the problems i've had though.
The thing you need to think about is this:
Owner 1: Rich, only keeps the car as long as it doesn't need an MOT (or less) so won't do any work unless its very important.
Owner 2: Sees the car as almost new, again won't keep the car long so pointless doing much with it.
Owner 3: Sees the car at a reasonable price with its "full service history", buys it, runs it around while it develops the odd 'minor' fault they can put up with.
Owner 4: Falls for the 'full service history' and buys it. Finds a few niggles and thinks "I'll get those fixed one by one.. i like this car i might keep it".. more niggles develop, parts are now old and expensive for such an old model, more bits get neglected. Then the owner finds theres REAL work needs doing like the cambelt, exhaust, cat converter, shock absorber....
People in this country are mad. In europe people value their cars. Here people are obsessed with being seen in the latest and greatest because its done in america. People here don't look after their cars properly and instead sell the problem on to someone else. Once the maintenance snowball has started rolling it just gets bigger and bigger.
I'm curious though HP, what do you mean by "double the uk limit"? - There is no legal limit on the mileage a car may last for as for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

140 mph plus  Crazy
Community Veteran

Correct.  Wink
It will do about 170, maybe 175, on the right road. Lips are sealed
(and in the right conditions, with suitable tyres of course)
nadger
Rising Star

Most fast German cars used to have a voluntary 155mph limit  Smiley
Last car I bought was a, then, less popular make so high initial depreciation. April 02 Kia Rio LX purchased, on eBay, from original owner with 54k on clock in Nov 06 for £1,650. Full service history and all receipts from new, including original purchase invoice.
Expenditure this year - £200 which covered oil change, MOT and replacing one drive shaft gaiter.
Last year - £50 for MOT
Previous year £140 for oil change, MOT and clean and adjust rear brakes
Year before that about £300 which covered cambelt and tensioner change, MOT etc
In my book it's cheap motoring and I'll buy another Kia when needed - we do have a local dealer
Community Veteran

Yeah but thats an 06 plate so almost 5 years old - IE not that far from new.
@HP didn't realise you meant speed limit - you mentioned limit and miles in the same sentence and stupidly i thought 2+2=3  Shocked

Ignore that, i've completely mis-read the above and now realise it was bought in Nov 06 not registered in 06.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Where is the 06 plate bit as I can't see it -
Community Veteran

Sorry i mis-read that (not feeling great today - must be clouding my mind).
Either way.. having re-read it, its 02 (hope i've got it right this time) so it's now starting to border that 'high maintenance' age where the important stuff starts to rear its head.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: okrzynska
its 02  so it's now starting to border that 'high maintenance' age where the important stuff starts to rear its head.
Mulled over whether to change it prior to MOT but as it passed, with advisory on gaiter, I'll keep it until later this year then I'll go for 2007 Rio or C'eed ( which would still have 3 years warranty left).
The large car supporters would obviously say that for £5k cash one could pick up something much nicer but.............