cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seat Belt

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Seat Belt

Was at the local car dealers yesterday for a part that was only obtainable from them, whilst there I mentioned that the Drivers side seat belt was failing to retract or retracting very slowly which I assumed was due to the spring becoming weak caused by  constant use.
They told me this was not the case & if I cleaned the seat belt with soapy water or a baby wipe a few times this would solve the problem, a likely story I thought to myself but gave it a try anyway.............. and it worked !!
Seems the clip the seat belt moves through can collect fine hairs off some types of clothing and this builds up and restricts the seat belt.
I Have had several (old cars) in the past with this problem and wish I had known about this free fix before.
If you have an old car & have this problem let us know how you get on.
2 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Seat Belt

That's interesting and certainly not something I would have thought of checking.
Reminds me of an on-going problem I have with the seatbelt warning beeps I had regularly going off when someone was sitting in the front passenger seat even with the belt done up.
Whenever I went over a bump or round corners the beeping would start. Eventually the beeping was almost continuous for most of the journeys taken. Several engineers couldn't fathom the problem. It took a young (apprentice? didn't look much older than 17/1Cool, who wanted to see for himself this elusive fault, to diagnose the pretensioner which was promptly replaced.
Never been bothered by it since.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Re: Seat Belt

@gleneagles, you have an honest car dealer.  I can imagine some who would not be so helpful - until they gave you a bill for 'repairing' the seatbelt Wink