cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seasonal pudding recipes

Fixes: 125

Seasonal pudding recipes

Don't want to mention the dreaded C wordWink

Last year I made a couple of batches of Last Minute Seasonal Puddings from a recipe that originally came from Sainsbury's back in the 90's.

This year I want to make my own (I know I should have started back in June/July) and I used to have my granddad's recipe but, sadly, that bit of paper has long been lost along with the file I had on an old computer back in the 80's/90's.

The nearest recipe (by memory) to his I can find is this. Just wondering if anyone has any tried and tested recipes to recommend that I can look at to compare?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Seasonal pudding recipes

I recently came across this gentleman's cookery blog and although I have not tried this recipe he is making it does sound similar to what you are looking for? And you can always drop him a comment he will def reply back to you.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbF3zMjrbCs

@Steve That does look closer to my granddad's recipe with the suet as well although his recipe wasn't as runny before covering.

Here's another one but I'd leave out the carrots!

What I do remember is that he always covered the pudding with suet pastry then with a cloth tied round the rim. Once cooked we all used to eat the pastry that then tasted like the Xmas pudding. And we all had a stir while making a wishCheesy

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Being as there are only 2 of us at home, we buy ours, but how many of you still put the odd coin in? I can remember the old sixpence coin being put in my aunty's home made puds when I was a nipper. Having said that, the young 'uns of today will hoping to find the latest mobile phone or x-box I suppose.  Roll eyes

The thing with the sixpence was whoever found it in there pud was exempt from any household chores on that day.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

So I take it that whoever cooked the meal always seemed to get the coin?? Funny

Pete11
Pro

@twocvbloke

Well, it did seem strange that either my aunt or uncle got it, but being kids, me and brother never really gave it much thought. We just put it down to luck, but now that you mention it....Undecided

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.

And don't forget that they wouldn't have wanted you to choke on the coinWink

Pete11
Pro

@Mav

There is that too, but pretending to choke on a coin and watching aunt and uncles faces turn from happy to panic in 2 seconds flat was priceless.  Grin

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Pete11 wrote:

"... how many of you still put the odd coin in? ... Having said that, the young 'uns of today will hoping to find the latest mobile phone or x-box I suppose."

We know that the iPhone 8 blends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1woiGfJ7rDA but survives a waffle iron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acLqgb3mwo

The question now is:  Will it survive steaming inside a pudding?

Pete11
Pro

Jonpe wrote:

The question now is:  Will it survive steaming inside a pudding?

Well I'm certainly not going to buy one to find out. Undecided