cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for coach travel.

geewizz
Grafter

Searching for coach travel.

I want to travel by bus/coach from Scotland to Brighton. I've tried all sorts of combinations of Edinburgh, Brighton, Scotland, bus, coach, travel in Google and come up with nothing relevant except National Express. Everything else is either coach hire, tours, local bus services or stag weekends.
I'm normally quite good at working out what keywords to use and avoid when searching google but I'm struggling to get anywhere today. I just want some alternatives to National Express for comparison.
Can anyone remember any national coach company names or help me find the magic keywords I seem to be missing, please?
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Searching for coach travel.

megabus
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

A coach from Edinburgh to Brighton! You must be nuts.
Here is the key word you need Ryanair
Edit: Geographical place name correction
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I was just checking them out before posting about them.  They don't do Brighton.  You could get Edinburgh to London, which would obviously be a lot closer.  I've thought about using the megabus a few times to go from Liverpool to London then on to Portsmouth.  It would cost £3.50 including the booking fee, but I've opted for the train each time!
Phil
geewizz
Grafter

Megabus - Ah, wonderful Smiley
That's half the price of National Express and a wider choice of travel times too.
Thanks adiewoo!

Yeah, I'm going to West Sussex but if I can get to London or Brighton then I can sort myself out from there by train. I won't fly because I have a deep hatred of the wasteful use of fuel used to haul a jet into the air for a short haul flight.
The train is much more expensive because I'm travelling in the next few days and the prices start at about £90 for a return. Also, there's the hassle of getting to Edinburgh from here to consider (and vice-versa on the return). If I use National Express then I can get picked up and dropped off locally.
Thanks for the input, guys. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

whats wrong with a train trip
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Yes Stagecoach Megabus is probably the cheapest - but the site you should have started with is travelinescotland.com
e.g.
http://www.travelinescotland.com/journeyplanner/showJourneysFound.do?rid=1221518077545
But have you tried looking at the Scotrail sleeper - maybe too late to get a cheap fair - but there are sleepers from many Scottish stations that take you direct to Euston, and it's just a short trip on the tube to Victoria for the Brighton line.
Community Veteran

...or, alternatively, two stops on a bus to St. Pancras then a Thameslink train - possibly a little nicer than battling through the crowds on the Victoria Line.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Maybe - but the sleeper gets in about 7:30 - and the tube is not too bad then - or it wasn't when I did it a lot.
Much better than a road coach anyday..... - but each to his own
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Did you check out National Express Funfares?
http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/Offers/funfares.cfm
As well as National Express and Megabus between Edinburgh and London there is Silver Choice. However this does not seem so good from Edinburgh as the journey involves a change at Hamilton.
http://www.silverchoice.co.uk/edin-glasnew.htm
An advantage of coach over train is that it avoids a tube journey across London with luggage, Coaches and trains to Brighton are within a short walk of Victoria Coach Station.